Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plymouth 0.9.4 Boot Splash Released, First Update In A Year & Adds DRM Preferred Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mmstick
    replied
    Originally posted by enihcam View Post

I wanted to ask the similar question:

How does systemd-boot work with plymouth? What theme should I use to smooth transition?
    We use systemd-boot with Plymouth fine on Pop!_OS. As long as the kernel options includes `splash`, it should display.

Leave a comment:

• enihcam
    replied
    Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
    I tried to test this (on Arch), but I'm on systemd-boot, and it seems to clear the screen to black. Did anyone manage to do it?
    I wanted to ask the similar question:

How does systemd-boot work with plymouth? What theme should I use to smooth transition?

Leave a comment:

• GrayShade
    replied
    I tried to test this (on Arch), but I'm on systemd-boot, and it seems to clear the screen to black. Did anyone manage to do it?

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    So does Plymouth actually work out the box yet and properly (no flicker and no showing any console) without having to edit a bootloader config file?

I'm more hopeful of the in-kernel bootscreens that Manjaro is playing with.
    the manjaro bootsplash is really nice, im using the amd theme on my desktop and the bgrt(aur) one in my laptop

Leave a comment:

• enihcam
    replied
    Does it mean that I finally can unset CONFIG_FB in kernel config?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Creak View Post
    Why is it limited to UEFI?
    It's limited to UEFI because it relies on the EFI framebuffer (aka the "screen display infrastructure" that is initialized and provided by the UEFI firmware) https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...cker-Free-Boot
    BIOS firmware does not have that.
    Last time I tried UEFI i had problems with my motherboard, I had to choose between iommu and usb3. Based on that, I thought Linux might not be there yet in term of UEFI support. But I might be completely wrong, since it's just based on one experience 😉
    For most modern hardware Linux works fine on UEFI, and has worked fine on UEFI for at least 3-4 years.

If something which should be supported by Linux does not work it's usually an ACPI table bug (ACPI tables are part of the board firmware that tells the OS what hardware there is and what features are supported),
    or an outright UEFI firmware bug where the firmware fails to enable hardware settings for its own reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Creak
    replied
    Why is it limited to UEFI? Last time I tried UEFI i had problems with my motherboard, I had to choose between iommu and usb3. Based on that, I thought Linux might not be there yet in term of UEFI support. But I might be completely wrong, since it's just based on one experience 😉

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    So does Plymouth actually work out the box yet and properly (no flicker and no showing any console) without having to edit a bootloader config file?

I'm more hopeful of the in-kernel bootscreens that Manjaro is playing with.

Leave a comment:

• mmstick
    replied
    I may just backport this to Pop 18.04 / 18.10. Having this exact issue with a few systems, where the luks decryption screen is way too large, due to starting at a low resolution.

Leave a comment:

• Plymouth 0.9.4 Boot Splash Released, First Update In A Year & Adds DRM Preferred Mode

Phoronix: Plymouth 0.9.4 Boot Splash Released, First Update In A Year & Adds DRM Preferred Mode

Plymouth 0.9.4 is now available as the graphical boot system widely used by most desktop Linux distributions. This update to the Red Hat led project is the first new release in 15 months and as such there are a fair amount of changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X