Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.30.2 Released As Focus Shifts To GNOME 3.32

Phoronix: GNOME 3.30.2 Released As Focus Shifts To GNOME 3.32

GNOME 3.30.2 is now available as the second and final point release to this half-year update to the GNOME desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> GDM now disables Wayland on the proprietary NVIDIA driver for now

This is why linux as a desktop can't be taken seriously

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post

*Why NVIDIA as a GPU manufacturer can't be taken seriously*
      Fixed it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post

if nvidia has shit driver, isn't a linux problem

Comment

Originally posted by Dea1993 View Post

if nvidia has shit driver, isn't a linux problem
          What perplexes me is that people will claim the superiority of NVidias drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

What perplexes me is that people will claim the superiority of NVidias drivers.
            And that even without being paid for it!

Comment

Seems like Nvidia has been covered.

As for Gnome, it needs too many plugins to be functional and usable IMHO, then some plugins do the same thing differently so you have to play plugin configuration hell to get the top bar to put stuff where you want it. Then you have an annoying tablet-like experience that just doesn't feel natural with a KB/M...like a less clunky version Android x86... That was my experience the last time I tried Gnome, 3.28 IIRC.

Gnome is one of those things that I want to like because it screenshots very nicely and can be made to look very pretty, but at the end of the day, it needs too many plugins to be made to be day-to-day useful for my preferred workflow and usage. I don't want to find I'm relying on a plugin for some feature and that plugin dev quits updating it after a while. That's not a problem I seem to have on other major desktop environments like KDE and XFCE and something I bring upon myself with minimalist window manager setups like Fluxbox or Sway using random programs to fill in the gaps.

I wish Gnome well and I hope that, eventually, maybe, they'll have a desktop experience I'll like because I really like GTK and a lot of the ecosystem that surrounds Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Girolamo_Cavazzoni View Post

And that even without being paid for it!
                Nvidia will have to open their wallet soon though because it seems to be a falling trend.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                As for Gnome, it needs too many plugins to be functional and usable IMHO,
                Am I the only one in the entire universe able to use GNOME without a single extension?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Am I the only one in the entire universe able to use GNOME without a single extension?
                  It's very probable.

I can use it without extensions, but I don't consider it a pleasing experience. I use a 45" 1080p TV for my desktop. There was a lot of wasted scree space using Gnome by default and I found that easier to manage with plugins over what I could find in Gnome's settings. I can see it being less of an issue on a smaller screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                    I can't speak for anyone but me (obviously), but I find myself configuring my Windows and Linux Desktops to look similar, if nothing else because this means I can rely on muscle memory across desktops, which lowers the cognitive load.

I haven't tried GNOME Shell 3.30.x yet (I'm on Budgie which has traditionally been faster than GNOME Shell), but if/when I do, I'll probably install at least Dash-to-Panel and probably a few other choice extensions. I do like the GNOME exposé like feature, though, since it is both pretty and functional.

Comment

Working...
                    X