Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I would like to see:
    • Faster dash (app grid).
    • Install web applications from within Epiphany web browser. So they all show in a app tab, or in the GNOME Shell.
    • gnome-shell-extension-tool: Generate JavaScript ES6 classes.
    • Fix the architecture behind the gnome-shell compositor.
    • Be able to share directly from within applications.
      • Eye of GNOME, Shotwell and GNOME Photos. Share to Email, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
      • Web (Epiphany) share URL, links, videos to Email, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
      • Videos (Totem) share video cloud, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.
      • GNOME Builder, share code to Gist, Pastebin, etc.
      • Share to installed applications such as Polari, Empathy, Pidgin, HexChat, Evolution, Thunderbird, etc.
    • Web: Add date from <time> elements to GNOME Calendar.
    • GNOME Calendar. Send event in email. Print event. Add event to GNOME To Do.
    • GNOME Contacts. Send contacts to other contacts. Send contact as vCard in email. Open up contact position on GNOME Maps.
    • GNOME Maps. Send map location to an email.
    • GNOME Weather. Share weather to email.

Comment

Gnome developers should support SSD in Mutter. Looks like lack of SSDs is a sore point for many low level window management frameworks like SDL, GLFW, Allegro and etc. as well as applications like mpv.
      Last edited by shmerl; 31 October 2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Gnome developers should support SSD in Mutter. Looks like lack of SSDs is a sore point for many low level window management frameworks like SDL, GLFW, Allegro and etc. as well as applications like mpv.
        It is supported.... How do you think anything that doesn't use GTK headerbars has window controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          It is supported.... How do you think anything that doesn't use GTK headerbars has window controls.
          It's not supported (i.e. all are forced to use CSD): https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/217

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            It's not supported (i.e. all are forced to use CSD): https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/217
            As part of the XDG-Decorations spec all applications are expected to support CSD, but can negotiate with the server for the entirely optional SSD. Mutter doesn't implement the optional SSDs, but complaining about that in the issue for supporting the spec, and not in it's own separate issue is just a waste of everyone's time.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoatally View Post
              Mutter doesn't implement the optional SSDs,
              Exactly the problem. There is no time wasting, except for Gnome developers stubbornly refusing to support it for no valid reason besides "you are supposed to use CSD always so we'll show you how to do it by refusing to support SSD.". I suspect this mess will be only resolved once Gnome maintainers decide to be actually helpful and collaborate on real needs of developers, which I don't see happening so far.
              Last edited by shmerl; 31 October 2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                Seems like Nvidia has been covered.

As for Gnome, it needs too many plugins to be functional and usable IMHO, then some plugins do the same thing differently so you have to play plugin configuration hell to get the top bar to put stuff where you want it. Then you have an annoying tablet-like experience that just doesn't feel natural with a KB/M...
                I think you have it backwards. GNOME 3 is designed by default for you to do all of your work with hotkeys, instead of clicking windows and clicking the minimize, maximize, and close buttons. It's not built for tablets, it's built to be fast. It takes a while to get used to, but once you do it's fast.

Comment

Eh, the usual trolls out for a Gnome release announcement. I don't use Gnome as my main desktop, because I prefer Enlightenment, but I don't come here to wipe my ass on release stories either. I guess I'm just mentally stable or something.

Comment

My biggest issue with gnome is memory consumption. I hope that gets eventually properly fixed because I can not bring myself to use a system that snaps up 2gb of ram on boot with just the file manager opened. There is also the issue of lack of refine.. I use a 1366 x 768 screen (like most laptop in the market ) and gnome shell is almost a crime on such screens. The calendar notifications takes a huge chunk of the display in an un natural way with lots of empty space that could be better refined The shell fonts is un naturally huge and just pops at you. Even the Ubuntu Yaru theme was unable to fix some of this UI problems. Then there is the lack of features. Practically every known desktop metaphor has been through out of gnome shell. You have to relearn almost everything. Why is it a crime to click to minimise to dash? Why is the minimise button missing?

The whole shell and animation transition is laggy and jerky.. Compared to what you get with kwin and compiz both of which offer animations that are as smooth as silk.. With gnome it's laggy when you bring up applications the flow is jumpy not smooth. Same with minimising.

What I do like. I love gtk3. The way applications look and gnome header or client side decoration and how it is implemented is the best on any OS. It makes perfect use of space and it is beautiful and functional. I also love gnome Web services integration. The online account is maaaad. The way it works with every gnome app is just supper and it works. Gnome took kde akonadi concept and nailed it perfectly. Gnome online account for me is the killer feature of gnome 3. It is what took me from kde. But for now I am on Ubuntu unity. The latter is not perfect but it is smooth and gives me the natural experience I expect from a desktop at a decent resource price. It allows me to use all the best of gnome 3 (beside the CSD) while waiting for gnome to sort its sh*t out and become usable.

Comment

Working...
                    X