Fedora Enables ClearType Subpixel Font Rendering Thanks To Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudig View Post
    One of FreeType's contributors, Alexei Podtelezhnikov, was working on a different way to achieve subpixel rendering that he thought was not patent encumbered and called it "Harmony": http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/fre...?id=master#n47. I haven't tested it thoroughly nor do I know if a patent lawyer would clear it, but... it's there and enabled by default unless you specify that SUBPIXEL_RENDERING compile time flag
    Nice. My $0.02 was, if the patents are anyway going to expire next year, these patent programs are neither that useful or a submerging threat to open source.

Comment

Maybe, but I guess feeling safe is nice

I actually tried the updated Fedora package and get strong color fringing that I do not get when compiling from master (with or without the subpixel option enabled). Something is wrong.

Comment

Wish to receive an opinion from you guys. Should I not use subpixel rendering assuming I have ~192dpi 4k monitor and use 2x scaling? or does this depends on your preference and vision etc. ?

Comment

My Eyesight doesn't like AT ALL ClearType or even Grayscale Antialiasing, i like the text pixels as "crisp" as possible, how can i FULLY disable both in Linux ?

I ask this because lately Slackware-Current is plagued (from my PoV, YMMV) with that thing of blurry fonts when used to be just perfect by simply using some "Hinting".

TIA,
          AJSB

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Compare the old renderer and the new one and tell me which one is better:

OMG...the NEW is the kind of S*** i have to endure lately.
            DARN FREAKING BLURRY FONTS that has been hurting my eyesight.

The "OLD", (v35 , right ? ) looks so much better.

Comment

Working...
            X