Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PipeWire Is Still On Track For One Day Being A Drop-In Replacement To PulseAudio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire Is Still On Track For One Day Being A Drop-In Replacement To PulseAudio

Phoronix: PipeWire Is Still On Track For One Day Being A Drop-In Replacement To PulseAudio

Various Linux audio stakeholders are in Edinburgh having a PipeWire hackfest following the Linux Foundation events that took place last week...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ulseAudio-JACK

My god, I hope they succeed, I hate dealing with pulseaudio, I'm relieved to hear a solution may be on the horizon. Hopefully they will have as good support for echo cancellation, and proper support for equalizers in this too. And hopefully at a significantly lower CPU cost.

Comment

Well as long as my VMs which run under a different user can still play audio I don't really care.
      Pulse audio just works for me

Comment

Isn't pulseaudio already a red hat endeavour?
        why can't they just fix that?

Comment

I think this is a great project and I'm not the only one! Note IBM just bought RedHat (aka the Pipewire Authors...) for quite some billion Dollars, so they clearly value the concept of pipewire.

I really don't know how trolling should continue when a poettering idea will be replaced by a non poettering idea. Even if the old idea is part of the new one, i doubt noone will notice that and everybody will love it...

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
            Isn't pulseaudio already a red hat endeavour?
            why can't they just fix that?
            I don't think this is a "fix", more like a "feature parity". PipeWire is a new framework that is supposed to be a "PulseAudio" for both audio and video streams.

Comment

PulseAudio makes me cry because you can't turn off voice tagging, breaking using music apps and communication apps at the same time if they use it.

I'd be glad for a replacement.

Comment

Oh thank you guys for this. Truly welcome development. So much bad news today, this is something good to brighten my spirit.

Comment

Is there a pipewired yet?

Comment

I don't know why everyone assumes that this will necessarily be better than pulseaudio. By the time they reach feature parity, it might end up worse. Remember, pulseaudio has had a good amount of time for bug fixing. Not that I'm saying this is by any means a bad thing, but don't assume that it's automatically going to be better.

Comment

Working...
                    X