A Quick Benchmark Of Mozilla Firefox With WebRender Beta vs. Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NiLSPACE View Post
    I got a Motionmark score of 440.44 on my AMD 2600X + RX 580 which seems way less powerful than the 9900K and Vega 64/2070 you used. I run the benchmark on Windows 10, perhaps WebRender is more optimized on that. Any chance you could try this on Windows as well?
    I don't keep any active Windows installs around, only when running interesting tests.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      In a real life scenario, the difference is a page loading in 0.1 or 0.2 seconds. Not really something a human being can perceive.
      Too bad your battery or power usage can perceive it.

Rust wastes more power than proper C++ (not with a million bounds checks) so it's causing global warming more.

Comment

Good to know that Firefox again sucks a little less. User since around 0.7, I'm afraid I'm stuck with this stuff forever

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post

Rust wastes more power than proper C++ (not with a million bounds checks) so it's causing global warming more.
          I know you're not serious + I'm a C++ dev, but if you're referring to rust checking the loops at runtime - in release mode it only checks for the first and last index so it doesn't make any difference, if that's what you implied.

Comment

Of course, because of Rust.
            Never mind that rewriting the CSS engine in Rust made it twice as fast as the previous version. It doesn't matter, does it. You can't fight fanboyism with mere facts.

Comment

Not really. Rust is basically just C++ best practises, the only reason for it to be slower is having worse compilers, and less mature toolkits and wasting time rewriting things in a new language, that doesn't really need to be rewritten.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                i'm not shocked, i know firefox is the slowest browser
                Yeah, nothing can compete with edge!!1

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I don't keep any active Windows installs around, only when running interesting tests.
                  Michael, did you start Firefox with JSGC_DISABLE_POISONING=1? (You might want do disbable async stack in about:config too) And where is your build from?
                  I'm getying twice as fast results in motionmark . on my puny 2200G APU

Comment

I see in the screenshot that your azure backend is not accelerated. That's also due to some rather weird GPU blacklisting. Set these keys in about:config:

Code:
                    layers.acceleration.force-enabled true
                    gfx.content.azure.accelerated true
                    gfx.canvas.azure.accelerated true
                    Without it, benchmarking is rather pointless.

Firefox Linux releases should really stop this sweeping blacklisting and should enable all this by default. Drivers situation today is very different from five years ago.
                    Last edited by shmerl; 27 October 2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Was this benchmark hardware accelerated at all on the Firefox end? WebRender has a CPU fallback, and given that Firefox without webrender doesn't achieve such poor results on a Windows machine, I'm going to go out on a limb and say no.

Comment

Working...
                      X