A Quick Benchmark Of Mozilla Firefox With WebRender Beta vs. Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Quick Benchmark Of Mozilla Firefox With WebRender Beta vs. Chrome

Phoronix: A Quick Benchmark Of Mozilla Firefox With WebRender Beta vs. Chrome

Now that WebRender has reached beta within Firefox Nightly, I decided to run some fresh web-browser benchmarks to see how this GPU-accelerated web rendering is working out for Firefox and how it compares to that of Google Chrome in some popular browser benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Apparently they are first focussing on stability before they try to get WebRender to actually be much faster than the previous renderer.

Comment

... while testing an AMD Radeon RX 580 and ...
      Shouldn't that be the RX Vega 64?

Comment

Originally posted by NiLSPACE View Post

Shouldn't that be the RX Vega 64?
        Yep thanks, typo... Too much work going on this weekend, but anyhow the system table and graphs are always correct.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

i'm not shocked, i know firefox is the slowest browser

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            i'm not shocked, i know firefox is the slowest browser
            Of course, because of Rust.

Comment

I got a Motionmark score of 440.44 on my AMD 2600X + RX 580 which seems way less powerful than the 9900K and Vega 64/2070 you used. I run the benchmark on Windows 10, perhaps WebRender is more optimized on that. Any chance you could try this on Windows as well?

Comment

i still cant see Webrender being Default untill Firefox67 at the latest.

Comment

Accidentally I run the MotionMark benchmark today with Firefox 64beta + MOZ_WEBRENDER=1 on my laptop with integrated intel GPU - Chrome-72 is twice faster but it consumes 2 cores fully, Firefox consumes just one core.

Comment

In a real life scenario, the difference is a page loading in 0.1 or 0.2 seconds. Not really something a human being can perceive. It's the same crap as operating systems competing on boot time. Your OS booting in 6 or 7 seconds changes absolutely nothing in your life.

Comment

Working...
                    X