Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Will Now Set Scale Factor For GTK Apps, Plasma Gets Other Scaling & UI Polishing Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does KDE have display scaling though? I thought KDE in general and fully DPI-aware.

Comment

I think it is for cases where the app is scaling in px instead of a dpi-aware metrics, such as pt, el, em etc...
      Which is many, many applications. Including browsers.

And I think for cases when you have different screens with very different scaling requirements, this is an easy way to let the compositor do the scaling instead.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Why does KDE have display scaling though? I thought KDE in general and fully DPI-aware.
        Because sometimes 4k screens are 27" and sometimes they are 13".

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
          Because sometimes 4k screens are 27" and sometimes they are 13".
          Yeah, and DPI will change accordingly. Which is why I asked why you'd need display scaling if KDE is already DPI-aware?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Yeah, and DPI will change accordingly. Which is why I asked why you'd need display scaling if KDE is already DPI-aware?
            Because you might want a non-default scaling for your current DPI – for example in order to fit more stuff on a 13-14" screen or to make things bigger if you have bad eye sight.

Comment

Also I don't think Kde supports different DPIs for different monitors at the moment. (Think not even Windows does this :/) . ANy thoughts ?

Comment

Windows supports mixed dpi configurations. Plasma and gnome only in wayland, and doesn't work yet on plasma on xwayland apps

Kde has all sorts of little issues with scaling at the moment - in some places (especially the shell) icons are too small or too big, or text is blurry or window dialogs open too small.

Comment

Working...
                X