Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xfce4-Screensaver Has Its First Release - Fork Of MATE Screensaver, Forked From GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the xfce desktop really needs is a user accounts management utility because not everybody knows how to use the cli tools for doing this...

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
      What the xfce desktop really needs is a user accounts management utility because not everybody knows how to use the cli tools for doing this...
      Most people, even those without CLI experience, have access to a google. Maybe what XFCE needs is a desktop widget to help find the google? Heck, even those without internet access can still read the man page. Man pages are like google, but for linux commands.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        Most people, even those without CLI experience, have access to a google. Maybe what XFCE needs is a desktop widget to help find the google? Heck, even those without internet access can still read the man page. Man pages are like google, but for linux commands.
        I can do that, but for most of the people which I have fixed the windows install by replacing it with a linux distro running xfce, that is not an option. They aren't interested on researching how they can modify their user password or create new user accounts from the cli, something that can be done with a GUI in other environments...

Comment

What a waste of time.
          Just use xscreensaver, it actually works and no, I don't care that the unlock dialog doesn't match my Gtk theme.

Comment

... and this is why the linux has a negligible desktop share

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
              What's the purpose of a screen saver on non-CRT screens?
              I like seeing the time and date dance across the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                XFCE developers: Hey, we are currently only 15 core developers, so we are a bit slow and just about two years behind our release cycle.
                Also XFCE developers: Hey, but we definitely need our own suite of screensavers!
                They did well, Xscreensaver is defective by design and it is a potential gate for malicious attacks. And they did not create a screensaver from scratch but they forked it, I am glad that we can finally put aside Xscreensaver.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                  I can do that, but for most of the people which I have fixed the windows install by replacing it with a linux distro running xfce, that is not an option. They aren't interested on researching how they can modify their user password or create new user accounts from the cli, something that can be done with a GUI in other environments...
                  That's a valid point, but to be fair, XFCE may not be the best choice in that situation. Other DE's do have robust GUI management tools, and may be much easier for a new user to find their way around. Have you considered MATE? It's very lightweight, but has more GUI system management tools than XFCE.

Comment

That's a valid point, but to be fair, XFCE may not be the best choice in that situation. Other DE's do have robust GUI management tools, and may be much easier for a new user to find their way around. Have you considered MATE? It's very lightweight, but has more GUI system management tools than XFCE.
                    That is true, I have gotten so used to XFCE that haven't looked for alternatives. I do remember like 3 years ago I took an old Dell with a pentium 3 processor and tested different Desktop Environments and Mate was really slow for some reason I don't know, but XFCE did run decently. I should give it another try to see what has changed...

Comment

Working...
                    X