Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 5.51 Released

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5.51 Released

KDE Frameworks 5.51 is out today as the latest monthly update to this collection of KDE libraries complementing Qt5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought plasmas icons are svg and are rastered on the fly as needed and then chached. So why is there a need for 2x scaled icons?

Comment

I managed to make Plasma Wayland session work, and noticed that Kmail has white rectangle instead of message text when using it. Did anyone encounter such bug?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
        I thought plasmas icons are svg and are rastered on the fly as needed and then chached. So why is there a need for 2x scaled icons?
        I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

It would work if all icons could adhere strictly to SVG standard but it doesn't happen this way (well, I don't know about the Breeze theme specifically). Many icons are edited on Inkscape or on Illustrator and there are extensions on them that are not plain SVG and, as so, you need to render them using the original application (that is pretty common for Inkscape).

The main advantage of SVG icons are more related to customization/modification (it is the equivalent of have the source code) and, for simple icons, scaling, of course.

Anyway, still, most of us want pixel perfect icons and scaling alone doesn't cover this aspect satisfactorily on some cases.
          Last edited by acobar; 15 October 2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            I managed to make Plasma Wayland session work, and noticed that Kmail has white rectangle instead of message text when using it. Did anyone encounter such bug?
            How did you get it working now? :-)

Kmail has some flickering if I run it as a Wayland window and it is overlapped by another window (bug is reported since a long time, default is for Kmail still xcb). But it works quite ok and I can read mails without any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              How did you get it working now? :-)
              Turned off DisplayPort 1.2 in my monitor. It's likely an amdgpu bug with DP 1.2 specifically. Older DP connection works fine.

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              bug is reported since a long time, default is for Kmail still xcb
              How can I force Wayland Qt plugin for Kmail?

Comment

On Tumbleweed Kmail works correctly even in Wayland, even the informative pop ups are positioned correctly, but in Tumbleweed they are at Kde Frameworks 5.50.

Comment

HiDPI means your monitors resolution goes up, while your eyes resolution stays the same. Icons, even SVG ones, are drawn for a specific target size (which is best expressed in something like arcseconds, not pixels or centimeters). When a icon for a larger target size is created/drawn from a smaller one, often a few details are added which would not be recognizable at the smaller size.

When going from a 16x16 size icon to a 16x16@2x, the 16x16 icon is used as a base (at this size, it has to be optimized for the pixel grid to be recognizable and sharp), and some minor adjustments may be done. Most times, just the 16x16 icon is symlinked, to keep the engine from using the 32x32 icon instead. By default, 32x32 would be preferred over a scaled up 16x16 (without the @2x), as themes are allowed to mix bitmaps and vector graphics.

Comment

I see this: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-55384

No idea if it means that KMal should work on Wyland proper now. It doesn't seem to.

Comment

Working...
                    X