KDE Plasma 5.14 Released With A Plethora Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
    However, my experience with Amd-Wayland is not bad, it's usable for everyday use, no crashes.
    Good, but mine is completely unusable, I can't even log in.

Comment

Funny, just yesterday I was having issues with that clipboard thing. Glad to see that's now fixed.
      Now they just need to get middle-click-paste to work in Wayland. That's one of the last things I want for a fully stable and usable KDE+Wayland setup.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        So I've just treid it on my works VM, it still starts in about 1/4 of the screen rather than being full screen - so not looking good. Any one else got this working in VMWare?
        Mine is working on Vmware Fusion 10

Host: Mac OS X Mojave
        Vmware: Fusion 10

Guest: ArchLinux
        Desktop: Plasma 5.14 Wayland(SDDM or GDM works fine)

Note: you need to install vmware tools and enable all hardware acceleration features. in the case of ArchLinux just do on the guest:

su -(or sudo)
        Pacman -S open-vm-tools

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
          does wayland already have no annoyances?
          Does X11 have already no annoyances?

Seriously, if you refer to Plasma than it depends from your work flow. I had often issues on X11 as well and switching to Wayland just showed other ones. Plasma Wayland has improved a lot, it should get here and there some bugs fixed, but it is quite usable. I'm just a little worried that Qt 5.12 might introduce new regressions and is still not providing the necessary bug fixes.

Comment

My experience is that Plasma 5 kwin_x11 used to work OK and was pretty stable - with the Nvidia proprietary drivers.
            Then (possibly related to a Qt update) it broke.
            Now I can't enable any effects - or kwin_x11 crashes...
            It's been like that for months now...

I'm setting up Plasma 5, on my Dell Latitude, which has an Intel iGP (only), to see whether the issues are graphics driver related...

It's really annoying to see such large regressions, that now seem to leave Plasma 5 kwin_x11 perma-broken...

Comment

I think wayland is usable for AMD/Intel GPU users but last time I tried it on NVIDIA card it just had a blank/broken desktop or something..

I'm using compiz atm instead of the kwin composer, works great provided you don't enable the legacy KDE Compatibility feature. Some things may require you to set conditions for like panel behind other windows etc.. ccm does the trick.
              Last edited by theriddick; 09 October 2018, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

That's probably because you have to wait for 5.14.1 before all the bugs are ironed out. And don't think this is me posting a negative comment about KDE: it's recommended to wait for the first point release with almost every DE.
                I've been trying kwin_wayland each release since its inception - it's still not usable for me on my VM, laptop or media box

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Do you mean the desktop background image? Because that is what I've seen in VM's as well, but at least the panel is fullscreen. Did you open a bug report for this?
                  No, as in the desktop takes up about a quarter of the screen

Yes, I've reported all these bugs - most of which were auto-closed by Martin, one or two were looked into by someone else but none have been fixed

Comment

Here's what my laptop looks like with kwin_wayland

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
                      My experience is that Plasma 5 kwin_x11 used to work OK and was pretty stable - with the Nvidia proprietary drivers.
                      Then (possibly related to a Qt update) it broke.
                      Now I can't enable any effects - or kwin_x11 crashes...
                      It's been like that for months now...

I'm setting up Plasma 5, on my Dell Latitude, which has an Intel iGP (only), to see whether the issues are graphics driver related...

It's really annoying to see such large regressions, that now seem to leave Plasma 5 kwin_x11 perma-broken...
                      Try deleting your mesa cache and qt shader cache - there's a bug if your distro uses reproducible builds that meant old shaders were being used when they shouldn't be

If it doesn't fix it - open a bug

Comment

Working...
                      X