Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.14 Released With A Plethora Of Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by misp View Post

    Yeah, for me also. Will try the JavaScript-abomination known as gnome with new fedora and see if it works there.

    ​​​
    Nice, there seems to be a fix now for the monitor power saving issue :-) Maybe now the screen turns on again! https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=399564

    Comment


    • #32
      Does anyone know if Plasma supports Japanese and Chinese input out-of-the-box? I tried Neon but couldn’t really get it to work at all. I could get it to work relatively easily on Gnome / Elementary

      Other than that, I like most of the stuff Plasma has to offer!
      Last edited by veeableful; 10-10-2018, 07:39 AM.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        I think wayland is usable for AMD/Intel GPU users but last time I tried it on NVIDIA card it just had a blank/broken desktop or something..
        I'll give 5.14 a try tomorrow, but until now with 5.12 and 5.13, Plasma didn't work well for me on my Intel GPU; half of Plasma was broken and the parts that did work made it crash very soon. Tested on two laptops (my previous laptop, intel-only, and my current laptop, also intel-only). So no, it's NOT usable for Intel users. Unless you mean Wayland in general, in which case you're right as GNOME Shell Wayland works fine (I mean: it does use a lot of memory and CPU as is a known issue with Shell, but the Wayland session is pretty stable otherwise) and Sway also works fine on Wayland.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by veeableful View Post
          Does anyone know if Plasma supports Japanese and Chinese input out-of-the-box? I tried Neon but couldn’t really get it to work at all. I could get it to work relatively easily on Gnome / Elementary

          Other than that, I like most of the stuff Plasma has to offer!
          Maybe you should try a Japanese or Chinese distro with Plasma as the default DE. You can usually change the system language to English in installers if you want English as the main system language.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by veeableful View Post
            Does anyone know if Plasma supports Japanese and Chinese input out-of-the-box? I tried Neon but couldn’t really get it to work at all. I could get it to work relatively easily on Gnome / Elementary

            Other than that, I like most of the stuff Plasma has to offer!
            Nope. Unfortunately you still need to install some things, configure them, then disable/reconfigure some other things, then fiddle with still some other things in order to get it working more or less properly, and it STILL won't be as smoothly integrated as it is in Gnome. That's literally the one single thing I really miss from back when I used to run Gnome.

            There was an initiative a year or so ago by some core KDE devs to address this topic; but they never managed to reach a consensus on how it should be done, and then there was this recent ordeal with Martin Floser (one of the core devs I mentioned) and his stepping down from being the Kwin maintainer, and the whole thing seems to be all but forgotten for the time being, at least on public channels.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

              Does X11 have already no annoyances?

              Seriously, if you refer to Plasma than it depends from your work flow. I had often issues on X11 as well and switching to Wayland just showed other ones. Plasma Wayland has improved a lot, it should get here and there some bugs fixed, but it is quite usable. I'm just a little worried that Qt 5.12 might introduce new regressions and is still not providing the necessary bug fixes.
              X11 works great, it has had issues in the past but each release has been fixing them. On the other hand, wayland on plasma gets in the way with a lot of issues that just doesnt make it an option right now. It has to be at least as good as X11 for it to be an option.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

                I'll give 5.14 a try tomorrow, but until now with 5.12 and 5.13, Plasma didn't work well for me on my Intel GPU; half of Plasma was broken and the parts that did work made it crash very soon. Tested on two laptops (my previous laptop, intel-only, and my current laptop, also intel-only). So no, it's NOT usable for Intel users. Unless you mean Wayland in general, in which case you're right as GNOME Shell Wayland works fine (I mean: it does use a lot of memory and CPU as is a known issue with Shell, but the Wayland session is pretty stable otherwise) and Sway also works fine on Wayland.
                Do you use SNA? If so, just disable it or switch to modesetting. Way better.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

                  I'll give 5.14 a try tomorrow, but until now with 5.12 and 5.13, Plasma didn't work well for me on my Intel GPU; half of Plasma was broken and the parts that did work made it crash very soon. Tested on two laptops (my previous laptop, intel-only, and my current laptop, also intel-only). So no, it's NOT usable for Intel users. Unless you mean Wayland in general, in which case you're right as GNOME Shell Wayland works fine (I mean: it does use a lot of memory and CPU as is a known issue with Shell, but the Wayland session is pretty stable otherwise) and Sway also works fine on Wayland.
                  I'm pretty sure you are not using the modesetting driver and tried it with the Intel one, which is known to not work well and got removed as a default in several distro's.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

                    I'm pretty sure you are not using the modesetting driver and tried it with the Intel one, which is known to not work well and got removed as a default in several distro's.
                    I'm using the modesetting driver.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by bobwya View Post
                      My experience is that Plasma 5 kwin_x11 used to work OK and was pretty stable - with the Nvidia proprietary drivers.
                      Then (possibly related to a Qt update) it broke.
                      Now I can't enable any effects - or kwin_x11 crashes...
                      It's been like that for months now...

                      I'm setting up Plasma 5, on my Dell Latitude, which has an Intel iGP (only), to see whether the issues are graphics driver related...

                      It's really annoying to see such large regressions, that now seem to leave Plasma 5 kwin_x11 perma-broken...
                      Try deleting your mesa cache and qt shader cache - there's a bug if your distro uses reproducible builds that meant old shaders were being used when they shouldn't be

                      If it doesn't fix it - open a bug

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X