The Leading Linux Desktop Platform Issues Of 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    So you're saying that it will forever be stuck with such shit market share on the desktop?
    I am saying that If industry accepted Linux on Desktop 20 years ago, then we would already be long time there

Share depends what industry and corporations wants, it does not depend just on me or you
    Last edited by dungeon; 07 October 2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      I am saying that If industry accepted Linux on Desktop 20 years ago, then we would already be long time there

Share depends what industry and corporations wants, it does not depend just on me or you
      No, desktop is about what the users want. Stop thinking in enterprise terms. We're talking desktop.

They couldn't adopt it 20 years ago. There's no point adopting something inferior in user experience, and yes the app distribution is by far the biggest reason. I'm not even exaggerating. It is literally the largest reason people avoid Linux. "My app won't work" is part of it.

Comment

No, desktop is about what the users want. Stop thinking in enterprise terms. We're talking desktop.
        He, he, what are you talking about, servers are even more what user wants

They couldn't adopt it 20 years ago.
        Why not? They didn't adopt it as they didn't believed into it, yes they didn't believe it at all Because it was mostly free software there and opensource hand in the middle had be just born

I mean, even in this very thread people wants blobs to push Sorry i can't stop laughing, is that just what Year of Desktop means - Blobs to Push?
        Last edited by dungeon; 07 October 2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Why not? They didn't adopt it as they didn't believed into it, yes they didn't believe it at all Because it was mostly free software there and opensource hand in the middle had be just born

I mean, even in this very thread people wants blobs to push Sorry i can't stop laughing, is that just what Year of Desktop means - Blobs to Push?
          Users want blobs because most users don't want to compile their software. That's why Gentoo and source distros are a minority even amongst Linux users. Like it or not but all binary "package management" distros are full of binary blobs. Why does it matter it's someone else other than the developer who compiles them?

But it is also beneficial to developers who want to distribute their app to such users: they won't have to rely on anyone else to pick it up and distribute it for a distro. They can build the blob themselves, just like on Windows, and have it run on users' PCs.

So it's beneficial both to desktop users and desktop application developers. Even open source software on Windows comes with a blob which 99% of users download instead of the source code, so it's not only about closed source software at all.

That's why it wasn't picked up, because it lacked this essential desktop factor.

Comment

Michael, there is a problem with the embedded video player in that article, at least with all the browsers I tried on an Android phone. The right part of the video would always be cut off from the phone screen, even when I rotated the phone, or tried to scale the page. As a result, not only the right part of the video couldn't be seen, I also wasn't able to tap the full-screen icon on the lower right of the player widget, since that icon is located in the cut off part. Is there a way to fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
              Michael, there is a problem with the embedded video player in that article, at least with all the browsers I tried on an Android phone. The right part of the video would always be cut off from the phone screen, even when I rotated the phone, or tried to scale the page. As a result, not only the right part of the video couldn't be seen, I also wasn't able to tap the full-screen icon on the lower right of the player widget, since that icon is located in the cut off part. Is there a way to fix this?
              Sounds like it's an issue with the CCC.de media player.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Users want blobs because most users don't want to compile their software. That's why Gentoo and source distros are a minority even amongst Linux users. Like it or not but all binary "package management" distros are full of binary blobs. Why does it matter it's someone else other than the developer who compiles them?
                I am talking about different kind of blobs, software distributed without also source code available. If users wanna blobs, they have freedom to use them. Adobe maded Flash and Reader for Linux and these worked AFAIK. Google maded Google Earth app, etc... and these worked, i mean, if some company wanna do it, they are free to do it.

And what happend, people on Linux started writting replacements for these. Basically, people on linux does not like to see blobs or at least some do and some don't
                Last edited by dungeon; 07 October 2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

"Hundreds of distributions causing further fragmenting of the already small (compared to macOS and Windows) user-base as well as "tens" of desktops."

The problem is not so much the amount, but the fact that it's all free and they all have differences. If only the amount was the problem, then Windows would have the same problem with its Home version, Pro version, IoT version, Education version, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

The problem is not so much the amount, but the fact that it's all free and they all have differences. If only the amount was the problem, then Windows would have the same problem with its Home version, Pro version, IoT version, Education version, etc.
                    Exactly, amount is not a problem. Problem is largely political, centralisation and decentralisation questions. For example on this page which lists window managers, problems are not windows managers but main problem is up there

Note: in IE the buttons make the columns disappear but they won't reappear. They work in Firefox.

Blobie boy OSes don't want to standardise on anything, but everybody to standardise on them. If you try to push them open API something like Vulkan API for example - nope they do DX12 and Metal instead

Not just OSes, but if someone think of nVidia blobie that is the same thing - they introduce their own API for whatever here and there and does not care

Funny part is that Mesa on the other hand also is no different, they also want everybody to standardise on them Nope Joe, there can't be AMDVLK separate, it does not matter it is opensource but the thing is it must be inside Mesa or nothing See, if you wanna do something separate they will do their own instead - that is pure politics

Similar to linux kernel, everything must be inside of it or nothing

With that said, why should we expect that distributions of linux are any different? As more and more you go into their base and core it is more and more conservative and centralised.

That's the best thing about it. This bullshit mentality of "applications are part of my computer install or the system/OS or tied to a drive" needs to die in a fire.
                    No one pushes you to install apps. Install just base and do what you want later.
                    Last edited by dungeon; 07 October 2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

REMOVE THE FUCKING GLOBAL SYMBOL NAMESPACE from ELF.
                      Can you prove the existence of namespaces in executable formats? You are the only one who talks about namespaces, so I am not sure.

If it is true that ELF uses a global namespace, is it possible to work around this problem from ld-linux.so/ld-2.28.so? (the library that does dynamic linking and stuff)
                      Last edited by tildearrow; 07 October 2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X