KDE Neon Rebased To Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Now Official

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aiua View Post
    Neon is great, until you need 32bits support for gaming.
    Since they only update the 64bits library, that causes conflicts when you need the 32bits ones. So I had to revert to Kubuntu.
    I have never come across that problem and I game regularly (mostly through steam)

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      Any news regarding the switch to Wayland by default in Neon?
      None yet, but they *are* working on making the wayland session better. I think devs are encouraged to use it rather than X now so all the pain points get worked out

Comment

Wayland on two monitors is currently very broken in KDE Neon.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiua View Post
          Neon is great, until you need 32bits support for gaming.
          Since they only update the 64bits library, that causes conflicts when you need the 32bits ones. So I had to revert to Kubuntu.
          I never had this problem. The Blizzard app works fine too.

Comment

No chance of that happening any time soon, unless someone decides to implement EGLStreams in KWin.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
              No chance of that happening any time soon, unless someone decides to implement EGLStreams in KWin.
              Are you assuming everyone is using Nvidia proprietary software or am I missing something here?

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

Are you assuming everyone is using Nvidia proprietary software or am I missing something here?
                You are missing something indeed – what I'm assuming is that not everyone is using AMD or Intel GPUs, and Neon developers wouldn't switch Wayland on by default because that would break the OS for a portion of the user base. As long as Wayland remains broken on KDE, the X sessions is going to be the lowest common denominator for having a working system for everyone.

Comment

You are missing something indeed – what I'm assuming is that not everyone is using AMD or Intel GPUs, and Neon developers wouldn't switch Wayland on by default because that would break the OS for a portion of the user base. As long as Wayland remains broken on KDE, the X sessions is going to be the lowest common denominator for having a working system for everyone.
                  I think that with the next Plasma Lts there could be Wayland default and for owners of Nvidia cards will be hijacked on a Xorg session. What's the problem ?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

I think that with the next Plasma Lts there could be Wayland default and for owners of Nvidia cards will be hijacked on a Xorg session. What's the problem ?
                    I mean I guess they could just preselect the Wayland session in the dropdrown at the Login screen for AMD and Intel GPUs but I doubt they'll remove the explicit choice.

Comment

I would have cut off the dead wood by disabling GPU rendering for Nvidia in favour of llvmpipe and enabled Wayland by default. It's sad to see one bad vendor spoil the experience for all others. That's just my opinion...

Comment

Working...
                      X