Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.30.1 Released As A Big Assortment Of Fixes

Phoronix: GNOME 3.30.1 Released As A Big Assortment Of Fixes

The GNOME release team has made available GNOME 3.30.1 as the first and only planned point release to the GNOME 3.30 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gnome team should immediatelly pause all development and rewrite the whole single-thread JS bullshit YESTERDAY.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
      Some of the notable changes include Epophany ...
      ^Typo

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
        Gnome team should immediatelly pause all development and rewrite the whole single-thread JS bullshit YESTERDAY.
        3.30 is running pretty well now, even on Nvidia, so it's not that big of a deal.

The biggest issue they're facing now, IMO, is state saving on Wayland. There is none. If Shell crashes you lose *everything*.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post

3.30 is running pretty well now, even on Nvidia, so it's not that big of a deal.

The biggest issue they're facing now, IMO, is state saving on Wayland. There is none. If Shell crashes you lose *everything*.
          It is, because it's not as smooth as KDE even on Open Source drivers.

Comment

Still eagerly waiting for this to be pulled in:
            The Clutter master clock supports three synchronization methods in order of preference: (a) Hardware presentation times (b) Swap throttling (c) Fake vsync at 60.00Hz

hrkristian At least the crashes seem to have mostly gone away now. A year or two ago it used to crash all the time for me, but with 3.28 and 3.30 it's been stable.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
              GNOME isn't a company with developers as "resources" (which is a horrible way to look at people even in a company). You can't just delegate people to work on a specific task, people will work on what ever piques their interest.

When I was working on GNOME Maps numerous people told me that I should be working on something else, allegedly something they thought was more important. It's hard to grasp how full of themselves some people actually can be. Thinking that they have a right to say how I should spend my spare time.

Regarding gnome-shell (which is what I guess you're getting at), what are your actual suggestion and how do you see yourself helping out with that?

Comment

Gnome is especially bad, but lack of clean multiprocess is a major design flaw of Gnome/Plasma Wayland in general.
                Why is display management, user session management and window compositing (and in case of Gnome: also shell) running in just one process? Bad enough that the process runs as the same user who is logged in, making it ridiculously easy to kill/crash the session by altering the process.

Comment

There's an architecture proposal to split Gnome Shell into two processes, one for UI, and one for the compositor. The compositor would have multiple threads.
                  The UI could be all GJS, but I would move all the scripting out of the compositor, with some extension points for compiled code.

Comment

People knock Windows for many things, but one thing it's always done well since Vista is that the shell or graphics driver crashing doesn't bring down the entire session like GNOME does.

Comment

Working...
                    X