KDE's Dolphin File Manager Can Now Show LibreOffice Document Previews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Dolphin File Manager Can Now Show LibreOffice Document Previews

Phoronix: KDE's Dolphin File Manager Can Now Show LibreOffice Document Previews

Coming to KDE Applications 18.12, the Dolphin file manager will finally be able to show LibreOffice document previews as the icons...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds a bit unnecessary. An A4 page of text shrunk down to the size of a thumbnail/icon is completely unreadable. It just looks like a replacement icon for an unknown file type, with some unreadable garbage on it.

Comment

Since we're here...
      Does anyone know if Dolphin can display MKV's cover arts ?

Like it's now possible in Windows' Explorer after you install K-lite codec pack probably because of the Icaros module:
      Icaros can provide Windows Explorer thumbnails, for essentially any video media format supported by FFmpeg, this includes popular filetypes such as: Mkv, Flv, Avi, Mp4, Mov, Rmvb, M2ts, Ogm etc.

For example:

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Sounds a bit unnecessary. An A4 page of text shrunk down to the size of a thumbnail/icon is completely unreadable. It just looks like a replacement icon for an unknown file type, with some unreadable garbage on it.
        Depends on your use case.

I use 4k 1:1 no scaling @ 43". My viewport in LO and other editors is 2-5 A4 pages @ once.

At resolution rich large thumbnails Im sure I would be able to distinguish each file.
        Last edited by ElectricPrism; 23 September 2018, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Just disable it for these filetypes if you don't want to see a preview. That's the beauty of KDE

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Since we're here...

Like it's now possible in Windows' Explorer after you install K-lite codec pack probably because of the Icaros module:
            Icaros can provide Windows Explorer thumbnails, for essentially any video media format supported by FFmpeg, this includes popular filetypes such as: Mkv, Flv, Avi, Mp4, Mov, Rmvb, M2ts, Ogm etc.

For example:
            I don't think it can.
            As far as i know there is no thumbnailer for videos by default.
            There is an "ffmpegthumbnailer" that you can easily install on any distribution that gives you thumbnails for videos, but not the cover art. It roughly takes a snapshot at whatever is around 20% of the video. You can find the code here: https://cgit.kde.org/ffmpegthumbs.gi...pegthumbnailer

I think having cover art support in that plugin would be really great! Feel free to make a patch

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Since we're here...
              Try MovieThumbs : https://store.kde.org/p/1081129/
              It's also available for Plasma 5. I am very happy with it since years.

With KDE4 times I was using another tool, which also came with a cover thumbnail service for dolphin.
              But this tool was even better. It was automatically adding tags of the movie (director, writers, stars, produces year, genre,...) found by imdb to Nepomuk (Baloo) and you were able to find similar movies just by a click at the tag in Dolphin.

Comment

In the screenshot in Nate's blog post you can clearly differentiate the 5 files based on their covers, even if they aren't readable.

Comment

That's a good reason to make good-looking first pages with graphics. Now get off your lazy ass and make memorable LO documents.

Comment

Oooh that's pretty cool. A little useless for those who just write plain text, but for documents that involve images or special formatting, this could be pretty nifty.

Comment

Working...
                    X