X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    Where did you get this? For all I know the situation is the opposite. Former Valve developer back in 2014 have complained about AMD and Intel proprietary drivers, both on Windows and GNU/Linux. At the same time he praised GNU/Linux's Intel GPU drivers. He didn't try AMD FOSS driver, but these guys back in 2013 did praise Mesa, including the AMD's r600g one.
    Don't go full Linux-zealot mode on me pal. First of all, the keyword here is "graphics STACK", not just MESA driver. Second, back in 2013 MESA was at a very, very poor state, regarding API parity, speed, and feature support. Yes MESA even back then had some benefits, like better standard compliance, but let us not fool ourselves, we couldn't play the vast majority of modern 3D games on MESA back then. If you don't believe me, try running modern games using a 2013 version of MESA, see how that works out for you.

Believing BLATANT LIES about GNU/Linux, won't make the Linux desktop better. Actually acknowledging the situation, comming to terms with it, and trying to improve it, will.

Leave a comment:

• Spazturtle
    replied
    Originally posted by treba View Post

While I agree on that concerning direct2d vs opengl in firefox today, AFAIK webrender uses opengl everywhere (although they at least consider switching to gfx-rs). So concerning users using the proprietary nvidia driver, the difference shouldn't be that big between windows and linux. Secondly, radeonsi is better than the proprietary amd opengl driver on windows. Therefore it should actually be easier to support amd on linux than on windows or mac. And the mesa intel drivers are also better than the mac os drivers. I might be wrong, but I thought that this is also a reason why valve doesn't support proton on mac atm.
    Apple completely screwed up the drivers in 10.13.6 which has broken multiple applications and breaks webrender (it also adds some nice effects like green coloured static when waking the mac from sleep), as quite a few macs are being made 'legacy' and will not get updated past 10.13.x it is unlikely to see webrender enabled on macOS until 10.13.7 is released.

Leave a comment:

• Hi-Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

There is some truth in that statement. Indeed the graphics stack on windows is better than Linux currently, and it has always been this way for decades, let's not hide behind our fingers here.
    Where did you get this? For all I know the situation is the opposite. Former Valve developer back in 2014 have complained about AMD and Intel proprietary drivers, both on Windows and GNU/Linux. At the same time he praised GNU/Linux's Intel GPU drivers. He didn't try AMD FOSS driver, but these guys back in 2013 did praise Mesa, including the AMD's r600g one.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post

its basically only gonna be for Windows, the Graphics stack on windows is far better than Linux will ever be, so Mozilla enabling WR by Default on Linux will take a lot longer i would think.
    There is some truth in that statement. Indeed the graphics stack on windows is better than Linux currently, and it has always been this way for decades, let's not hide behind our fingers here.

But the GNU/Linux ecosystem has been improving by leaps and bounds the last decade, and the graphics stack is much, much improved and can support stuff that Windows do.

The major remaining piece of the puzzle is proper Wayland compositors, because current compositors are essentially alpha software. Once Wayland becomes production ready and becomes the default protocol for Linux systems, the Linux stack will be essentially pretty close to the Windows stack. MESA drivers are becoming really good and feature complete.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    who is your dealer?
    Donald Trump

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    the Graphics stack on windows is far better than Linux will ever be
    who is your dealer?

Leave a comment:

• treba
    replied

its basically only gonna be for Windows, the Graphics stack on windows is far better than Linux will ever be, so Mozilla enabling WR by Default on Linux will take a lot longer i would think.
    While I agree on that concerning direct2d vs opengl in firefox today, AFAIK webrender uses opengl everywhere (although they at least consider switching to gfx-rs). So concerning users using the proprietary nvidia driver, the difference shouldn't be that big between windows and linux. Secondly, radeonsi is better than the proprietary amd opengl driver on windows. Therefore it should actually be easier to support amd on linux than on windows or mac. And the mesa intel drivers are also better than the mac os drivers. I might be wrong, but I thought that this is also a reason why valve doesn't support proton on mac atm.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied

...the Graphics stack on windows is far better than Linux will ever be...
    I dunno about that, Linux already has a much better OpenGL implementation and Vulkan is doing rather well too. The OSS graphics driver effort over the last couple of years has been pretty fantastic

Leave a comment:

• petra
    replied
    I have tried nightly with webrender enables on macos el capitain on a macbook mid 2009 and i am very impressed with the difference in rendering.

Leave a comment:

• petra
    replied
    I have been testing it out on macos and have been very impressed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X