Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Begins Slowly Enabling WebRender For Some Users

Phoronix: Mozilla Begins Slowly Enabling WebRender For Some Users

One of the Mozilla technologies we have been most excited about in recent years is WebRender, the Rust-written restructuring of the graphics/GPU code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is really great news! I hope with this, they will finally be able to generally enable accelerated rendering on linux. As far as I understand, webrender is more modeled like a modern 3d game engine (instead of the classic 2d approaches), therefore using driver paths that are overall more tested, stable and less bug prone. So there's hope that around Q1 2019 they do the same on linux!

And then they might finally make hw video acceleration on linux a reality

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
      This is really great news! I hope with this, they will finally be able to generally enable accelerated rendering on linux. As far as I understand, webrender is more modeled like a modern 3d game engine (instead of the classic 2d approaches), therefore using driver paths that are overall more tested, stable and less bug prone. So there's hope that around Q1 2019 they do the same on linux!

And then they might finally make hw video acceleration on linux a reality
      its basically only gonna be for Windows, the Graphics stack on windows is far better than Linux will ever be, so Mozilla enabling WR by Default on Linux will take a lot longer i would think.

Comment

I have been testing it out on macos and have been very impressed.

Comment

I have tried nightly with webrender enables on macos el capitain on a macbook mid 2009 and i am very impressed with the difference in rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

...the Graphics stack on windows is far better than Linux will ever be...
            I dunno about that, Linux already has a much better OpenGL implementation and Vulkan is doing rather well too. The OSS graphics driver effort over the last couple of years has been pretty fantastic

Comment

its basically only gonna be for Windows, the Graphics stack on windows is far better than Linux will ever be, so Mozilla enabling WR by Default on Linux will take a lot longer i would think.
              While I agree on that concerning direct2d vs opengl in firefox today, AFAIK webrender uses opengl everywhere (although they at least consider switching to gfx-rs). So concerning users using the proprietary nvidia driver, the difference shouldn't be that big between windows and linux. Secondly, radeonsi is better than the proprietary amd opengl driver on windows. Therefore it should actually be easier to support amd on linux than on windows or mac. And the mesa intel drivers are also better than the mac os drivers. I might be wrong, but I thought that this is also a reason why valve doesn't support proton on mac atm.

Comment

the Graphics stack on windows is far better than Linux will ever be
                who is your dealer?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  who is your dealer?
                  Donald Trump

Comment

There is some truth in that statement. Indeed the graphics stack on windows is better than Linux currently, and it has always been this way for decades, let's not hide behind our fingers here.

But the GNU/Linux ecosystem has been improving by leaps and bounds the last decade, and the graphics stack is much, much improved and can support stuff that Windows do.

The major remaining piece of the puzzle is proper Wayland compositors, because current compositors are essentially alpha software. Once Wayland becomes production ready and becomes the default protocol for Linux systems, the Linux stack will be essentially pretty close to the Windows stack. MESA drivers are becoming really good and feature complete.

Comment

Working...
                    X