No announcement yet.

YouTube Begins Rolling Out AV1 Support In Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see 1920x1080 av1 files as well wonder how they encode it.. Probably chunked and every chunk on a different encoding slave.. Total CPU time = multiple weeks probably ...

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
      Thanks Youtube! Do that instead of supporting h264 and h265 which I have dedicated silicon to decode and use minimal battery life.
      you are idiot, youtube isn't. youtube isn't going to pay h265 royalties. h264 is supported

Comment

Originally posted by elvenbone View Post
        Except for the people that put up with the hassle of downloading every video before watching it
        Not sure what the "hassle" is and you don't need to download it. Copy the URL, open SMPlayer and click the globe icon and OK (it detects that the clipboard has a video URL and puts it in the box) and now you get to use hardware acceleration and whatever output filters you've configured. Pressing ctrl-c for compact window view is optional but likely desirable.

I usually do this because it lets me have just the video in a window instead of having an entire browser page along with it.

This works best if you add something like
        --ytdl-format=bestvideo[height<=?1080][vcodec!=?vp9]+bestaudio/best
        to options>preferences>advanced>mplayer>options btw since you probably want to make sure it streams the video in something you're actually able to hardware decode (if it can hardware decode vp9 then it's probably new enough to not need hardware decoding to begin with)

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
          I see 1920x1080 av1 files as well wonder how they encode it.. Probably chunked and every chunk on a different encoding slave.. Total CPU time = multiple weeks probably ...
          I presume that's how Youtube does its encoding. The guide on VP9 encoding for DASH streaming gives ffmpeg settings that fix the keyframe interval (to make resolution switching work smoothly?), so I guess they break the source video into clips of that length and farm those out to individual servers/CPUs, then concatenate the encoded video chunks. That means the encoding time is fairly constant no matter the length of the video, as long as there's enough servers to distribute the work to.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
            Do the containers require specific work per new codec? I imagined they wouldn't but I guess I was wrong.
            I didn't know DRM stuff only worked with MP4, that's interesting, though it's a bit strange to use a codec made to not be part of the MPEG world with a container coming from there
            Well, MP4 supports MJPEG. So, there's always been at least one example.

Now I am confused.
            If MPEG-DASH supports streaming MP4 containerized content, then it's the MP4 container that would know about the underlying format. That's probably how it gets away with being codec-agnostic, but means that support for AV1 in MP4 is a prerequisite to using AV1 over MPEG-DASH.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              you are idiot, youtube isn't. youtube isn't going to pay h265 royalties. h264 is supported
              There is no reason to insult anyone here. He has the right to have an opinion, even if it is wrong. Grow up

Comment

Do the containers require specific work per new codec? I imagined they wouldn't but I guess I was wrong.
                A WebM is just an MKV with some rules attached. A WebM is only allowed to contain codecs that are approved by the WebM spec, this is so that any WebM supporting program can play any WebM.

If they really wanted to they could put an AV1 inside a WebM right now but that would defeat the point of the WebM project.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

There is no reason to insult anyone here. He has the right to have an opinion, even if it is wrong. Grow up
                  There is no reason to ever reply to that guy, just ignore his rudeness.
                  I do not understand the "Grow up" part though as rudeness has not much to do with that...

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post

A WebM is just an MKV with some rules attached. A WebM is only allowed to contain codecs that are approved by the WebM spec, this is so that any WebM supporting program can play any WebM.

If they really wanted to they could put an AV1 inside a WebM right now but that would defeat the point of the WebM project.
                  Then why isn't the WebM spec inlcuding AV1?

Comment

I had not heard of AV1 before so a Mozilla blog post is a good read to catchup on codecs.

To answer the AV1 in Matroska/WebM question, I did some digging and found this very recent AV1 spec addition.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                      Don't feed the toll.

I agree that he should avoid insults, but people should not be so fragile. I'm actually more bothered, when he makes lazy and sloppy arguments.

Comment

Working...
                      X