Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.14 Offers A Hibernate Option From The Logout, HiDPI Dolphin Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Really? 'Cause every time I talk about Trinity (which is the continuation of KDE 3), people keep telling me "NO it doesn't have more features than Plasma 5, everything was ported!!!" but now it seems the hibernate button wasn't ported?
    Well, I haven't used Trinity, but to be honest, in KDE 3 that button was called "Suspend computer" (Likely, because it was called so in Windows XP). However it worked like "Hibernate" button on modern computers

https://i.imgur.com/aWs0Ksr.png SUSE 10.0, KDE 3.4.2

Note little triangle on "Restart Computer"

Comment

For those of you wondering where the Hibernate and Suspend buttons go, that is because years ago the support for those functions were messed up on the Linux ecosystem. The ACPI tables of a lot of hardware were wrong. So developers had to provide fixes for every case were it caused problems.

On the distro side of things, devs simply disabled those buttons on KDE and Gnome because the bug reports were pilling up with no fix on sight. Now that things improved, you can expect those functions to come back.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

KDE bugs are actively triaged these days. I know because I'm one of the people who do it. Reporting a bug is the first step to getting your bugs fixed. If you don't report them, we can't know that they exist, or gauge their importance.
        Well, is anybody working on this one?
        (This can also be an nvidia related problem) Mouse pointer behaves as if it has an invisible square attached to it. This square covers some area next to the pointer, but it is not always clear exactly where (a link to a screenshot is shown below, please note the white square with some text from the previous webpage displayed in that window). This makes selecting text difficult, as one never knows where exactly the selection ends. Also, scrolling in some windows becomes problematic, as the p...

I couldn't find this one on KDE bugzilla, but somebody must have probably filed it by now. Otherwise I'll learn how to file it. I'm getting this flickering thing with nvidia-390 driver. With Intel graphics everything works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
          Well, is anybody working on this one?
          (This can also be an nvidia related problem) Mouse pointer behaves as if it has an invisible square attached to it. This square covers some area next to the pointer, but it is not always clear exactly where (a link to a screenshot is shown below, please note the white square with some text from the previous webpage displayed in that window). This makes selecting text difficult, as one never knows where exactly the selection ends. Also, scrolling in some windows becomes problematic, as the p...

I couldn't find this one on KDE bugzilla, but somebody must have probably filed it by now. Otherwise I'll learn how to file it. I'm getting this flickering thing with nvidia-390 driver. With Intel graphics everything works fine.
          That's not really a KDE bug, as implied by the fact that the bug is located on Ubuntu's Launchpad rather then the KDE bug tracker. Since the NVIDIA driver is closed-source there's very little that KDE developers can do to fix or even work around problems with it.

We know that NVIDIA support is a pain point for many of our users, but it's a two-way street: there's not much hope without without NVIDIA doing their part, and it's hard to tell whether or not they are because their driver is closed-source.

My personal recommendation is not to buy NVIDIA hardware--not only for this reason, but for others too. In my day job I have to support a server farm full of NVIDIA GPUs and it's a nightmare. AMD stuff is *so* much less painful.

Comment

That's not really a KDE bug, as implied by the fact that the bug is located on Ubuntu's Launchpad rather then the KDE bug tracker. Since the NVIDIA driver is closed-source there's very little that KDE developers can do to fix or even work around problems with it.

We know that NVIDIA support is a pain point for many of our users, but it's a two-way street: there's not much hope without without NVIDIA doing their part, and it's hard to tell whether or not they are because their driver is closed-source.

My personal recommendation is not to buy NVIDIA hardware--not only for this reason, but for others too. In my day job I have to support a server farm full of NVIDIA GPUs and it's a nightmare. AMD stuff is *so* much less painful.
            Alright, makes sense.
            Keep up the good work.

Comment

Love KDE. Keep up the great work. Please please do something about the lockups when io stalls. I work in a tech repair centre and we all love kde but when ever we have a faulty harddrive the whole desktop freezes up - except for Krunner we are stuck.

Comment

ngraham one question:

I use KDE on my laptop, I minimize all the windows before suspending it, when I connect a external monitor and unminimize those windows, they always appear on the external monitor, instead of the primary one of the laptop.

Is it a configuration issue or I should file a bug report?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                  ngraham one question:

I use KDE on my laptop, I minimize all the windows before suspending it, when I connect a external monitor and unminimize those windows, they always appear on the external monitor, instead of the primary one of the laptop.

Is it a configuration issue or I should file a bug report?
                  Sounds like a bug.

Comment

Sounds like a bug.
                    Now filled:

Comment

Working...
                    X