Firefox 63 Beta On Linux Finally Runs WebExtensions In Their Own Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Have you considered one of the userChrome.css hack-packs which restyles it back to looking like Australis?

yes but they are not the same as original australis, they change tabs but not menus, the new tab page or config options style so im better with waterfox

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
      and here i am running waterfox (fork of firefox 56 with security patches and more) because of how much i like australis and how much i hate photon
      If you use an aggressive ad-blocker or NoScript that's not bad. If you run without one or with a weaker one, you're losing out on a lot of useful performance improvements.

Again, if most of the junk Javascript on a page isn't running, the speed improvements matter a lot less. But even then pages will load much faster and Firefox will use less memory.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Recently Firefox got some nice features such as clearing cookies and site data from the address bar.

Things I still miss in Firefox:
        • Server-Sent Events (SSE) debugging in developer tools.
        • WebSocket debugging in developer tools.
        • Input elements with type datetime-local, month and week.
        • Color emoji on Linux.
        • Toggle password visibility on input type password elements.
        • Wayland support.
        • Support for the <dialog> element.
        • Support for system-ui font.
        I would add Vulkan support to this list. Both Linux and Windows (I don't care about Dx 12 since I will never install the Spyware OS).

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I would add Vulkan support to this list. Both Linux and Windows (I don't care about Dx 12 since I will never install the Spyware OS).
          Vulkan on the web isn't standardized yet.
          There is WebGL for OpenGL ES on the web.

There is also the WebGPU draft by Apple.

Comment

Recently Firefox got some nice features such as clearing cookies and site data from the address bar.

• [...]
            • Wayland support.
              [...]
            Fedora has a separate package for Firefox Wayland. I'm using it now.

Comment

Definitely agreed.

• Color emoji on Linux.
              This seems to be working for me. I just wish that GitHub would either disallow emoji in repo descriptions or strip them before putting them into <title> where they can muck up my nice, clean Tree Style Tabs listing. (It feels like, once a decade, the web has to rediscover the Geocities/MySpace/Emoji lesson that, if you give the average user with no design training an inch, they'll take a mile.)

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                yes but they are not the same as original australis, they change tabs but not menus, the new tab page or config options style so im better with waterfox
                Ahh. I've been using about:blank for my new tab page since Mozilla Suite 0.9 for maximum tab-opening responsiveness, so nothing changed there when I jumped from 52 ESR to 63 Developer Edition, I visit the config options infrequently enough that it doesn't matter to me (and gaining a search box is worth it), and, as for menus:
                1. I despise Australis's "toolbar in a panel" menu with no hotkey hints (making hotkeys discoverable was one of the original designed purposes of menus), so Photon's Chrome-like menu is a massive improvement... though Australis already habituated me to tapping Alt to show the platform-native menu bar or using keyboard shortcuts.
                2. I used Stylish XUL styles to customize my context menu before and during Australis and, now, I use userChrome.css to re-create exactly what I used XUL userstyles for before.

Comment

• Wayland support.
                  Enabled by default on Fedora.

Comment

does obs-studio run in fedora?

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Enabled by default on Fedora.
                      Maybe some day we all will be running Firefox inside Flatpak so it will be incapable of having write access to your directories and can't even see your ssh keys

Comment

Working...
                      X