GIMP Picks Up A $100k Donation, Part Of $400k To GNOME Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

Which you could easily do with any decent and, above all, free PDF reader like Foxit or Adobe Reader or probably even Evince / Okular (on Linux). But you chose Photoshop? Why?
    I've been stuck on Windows for the past year and a half because I was using it to play a game and decided to just not dual boot at the time. I stopped playing that game about half a year in but have been too lazy to go back to linux; though I probably will install linux and wipe Windows from my SSD when Elementary Juno is finally stable.

Anyway, for PDF's on Windows I've just been using SumatraPDF which doesn't have any text tool built in and since I was forced to use Photoshop by my work, so that their marketing department could alter the files, I just decided to fire up Photoshop to fill out an application.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
      But of ourse it would be better than the excellent UI we currently have.
      "excellent UI" does not fit anywhere near the same sentence as GIMP.

It's UI is clearly made by programmers and not by people who know the workflow of the user, and it shows.

For Krita on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
        Which you could easily do with any decent and, above all, free PDF reader like Foxit or Adobe Reader or probably even Evince / Okular (on Linux). But you chose Photoshop? Why?
        Why using a free product when you can pay hundreds of $?

Are you poor perhaps? Shoo, shoo.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
          I feel like what GIMP most needs work on, to be more competitive with photoshop, is just making the tools slightly easier to use; for instance an example that comes to mind is the text tool in photoshop compared to GIMP. My job gets me a free copy of the adobe suite and I recently used photoshop to just fill in some text on a pdf form. With photoshop it was as easy as clicking in a spot to start writing text, clicking inside and holding the mouse inside the box to move it around into the proper place, and then double clicking outside the box and clicking in a new place to start the next field.
          That is the case of getting used to a quirk from Adobe Photoshop rather than an issue related user interface where GIMP is more logical though the layout needs further modernization.

In GIMP the same procedure requires using the text tool to write the text, switching to the move tool to move it into place, and reselecting the text tool to start a new field that you'd have to switch back to the move tool to move it again.
          Actually you can drag the edge of the text layer to the position of your choice without ever using the move tool.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
            Actually you can drag the edge of the text layer to the position of your choice without ever using the move tool.
            I'm aware that you can resize the box by selecting the sides which has the effect of moving the text but it's quite a bit more quirky to do that than selecting inside the box and moving the entire selection while keeping the size of the box itself the same.

Comment

I kind of lost faith in Adobe years ago. My need for a top shelf image editor is pretty much nil now. I am not into GIMP personally, but do check its releases to see where it has landed.

Photoshop Elements or PaintShop on WINE works just fine for those periodic image activities.

When Adobe bought out Aldus and PageMaker, they said they were going to revamp it head to toe and make it better throughout. Just to find out it still had exactly the same bugs raised with Aldus 4 or 5 years prior. Today I still have users complaining about the Creative Cloud Suite. The only thing "cloud" about it is saving files and license, sorry "subscription" validation.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura
                I recently used photoshop to just fill in some text in pdf form
                After rereading here lies the issues. Gimp being a image editor is not designed to edit pdf thus a wrong tool to write and edit form. Inkscape is right tool for such purposes.
                Photoshop ability to do so is due to the integration with Adobe Illustrator or Acrobat backend coming from the Creative Suite now Creative Cloud. Standalone cannot do that.

Comment

i like krita personally. even for non art work but i havent touched any image editor in years to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                    I feel like what GIMP most needs work on, to be more competitive with photoshop, is just making the tools slightly easier to use; for instance an example that comes to mind is the text tool in photoshop compared to GIMP. My job gets me a free copy of the adobe suite and I recently used photoshop to just fill in some text on a pdf form. With photoshop it was as easy as clicking in a spot to start writing text, clicking inside and holding the mouse inside the box to move it around into the proper place, and then double clicking outside the box and clicking in a new place to start the next field.

In GIMP the same procedure requires using the text tool to write the text, switching to the move tool to move it into place, and reselecting the text tool to start a new field that you'd have to switch back to the move tool to move it again. It's those little quality of life time saving things that makes photoshop more desired to be used by professionals. Of course I'm just an amateur hobbyist so I'm not involved enough in the tools to identify other areas that may be more important for professionals.
                    I had some similar struggle with GIMP recently, I wanted to add the text "Dev" in 4 parts of a image, I managed to add the first, but copy that text and paste in the other 3 places weren't user friendly, it seemed to create 3 new layers, I don't exactly what was going on, but as user, I just wanted to crtl+c the the text and ctrl+v in another place...

On the bright side, today I managed to erase a shadow in a photo using the clone tool, which were as simple as expected, select a place to use as a base and "erase" the area

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      "excellent UI" does not fit anywhere near the same sentence as GIMP.

It's UI is clearly made by programmers and not by people who know the workflow of the user, and it shows.

For Krita on the other hand...
                      LOL, that's your opinion. I curse if i need to use photoshop because it is so weird. It is all about what you are used to.

Can you cite some basic functionality that has objectively easier workflow on ps?

Comment

Working...
                      X