Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP Picks Up A $100k Donation, Part Of $400k To GNOME Foundation

Phoronix: GIMP Picks Up A $100k Donation, Part Of $400k To GNOME Foundation

The GNOME Foundation received a $400k donation of which $100k is heading to the GIMP developers for helping to improve their open-source image manipulation program that for some can compete with Adobe's Photoshop functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    for some can compete with Adobe's Photoshop functionality...
    To be honest Krita is better at that.

Comment

The year of the Gimp is arrived!

Comment

I hope they will improve the usability of Gimp. It's so confusing to use.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

To be honest Krita is better at that.
          Krita seems much more developed towards digital painting.
          Photoshop seems much more versatile.

Comment

I would bet on Valve donating that money in order to push Linux desktop.
            Last edited by paupav; 07 September 2018, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
              I can would bet on Valve donating that money in order to push Linux desktop.
              Let's bet

Comment

Hopefully this donation will help the GIMP developers in finally accomplishing their goal of the GTK3-ported GIMP 3.0 release.
                That's my hope too. More than that; I'd like to see a new major version of GIMP released with a completely new, redesigned & rethought UI based on GTK+ 3.22+ or even GTK+ 4.X (when it's ready). No more incremental improvements. I'd love to see them get someone new on the team that really knows UX and will radically overhaul the GIMP UX with zero consideration given to being familiar for existing GIMP users.

The project really has to step up their game on the UX front if they want to pull in users.

GIMP could be the raster image editor that almost everyone uses. It's just too slow and clunky right now though, so recommending is more about Open Source advocacy than actually giving people an intuitive and great product that does almost as well as Photoshop.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                  Krita seems much more developed towards digital painting.
                  Photoshop seems much more versatile.
                  I'm glad GIMP is still actively developed and gets funding. Choices are good, and it certainly has it's advantages over Krita, not the least of which is more filter options.

That being said, Krita definitely started out with digital painting as a higher focus, but it's grown to have most features anyone using Photoshop would require. It's PSD support in particular is superior to the support in GIMP (with the exception of text, which is something currently being worked on). It also has shortcut presets, including "photoshop_compatible" (which, unsurprisingly, maps equivalent functions to the same photoshop shortcuts).

Another huge advantage is the *actual* support of Photoshop Layer Styles, which can be modified in Krita, and then further modified in Photoshop (and vise-versa), whereas GIMP rasterizes the effects such that they have to be re-created to modify them. For these reasons alone I usually recommend newcomers try Krita over GIMP, especially if they have previous projects made in Photoshop.

(Note: the last version of Photoshop I extensively used was CS6. That is my reference point for comparison)
                  Last edited by lectrode; 06 September 2018, 12:09 AM.

Comment

I feel like what GIMP most needs work on, to be more competitive with photoshop, is just making the tools slightly easier to use; for instance an example that comes to mind is the text tool in photoshop compared to GIMP. My job gets me a free copy of the adobe suite and I recently used photoshop to just fill in some text on a pdf form. With photoshop it was as easy as clicking in a spot to start writing text, clicking inside and holding the mouse inside the box to move it around into the proper place, and then double clicking outside the box and clicking in a new place to start the next field.

In GIMP the same procedure requires using the text tool to write the text, switching to the move tool to move it into place, and reselecting the text tool to start a new field that you'd have to switch back to the move tool to move it again. It's those little quality of life time saving things that makes photoshop more desired to be used by professionals. Of course I'm just an amateur hobbyist so I'm not involved enough in the tools to identify other areas that may be more important for professionals.

Comment

Working...
                    X