• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dietrdan View Post
    Typo

guest access
    No, you have to guess who gets access

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Are you using a dedicated card or the mobo's "RAID" functionality? If you are using a dedicated card is it a SAS RAID card or is it Sata RAID?

If you want "hardware raid" you need a SAS RAID card (it can operate also Sata drives), everything else is unreliable trash in my experience.

The filesystem has nothing to do with RAID (as long as it isn't btrfs or ZFS used in their own RAID modes).
      A dedicated card. Can't remember if SATA or SAS, probably SATA.

Had issues with corruption in both Windows use and in Linux use.

Spoke with brother, IT guy, he's had issues with NTFS in RAIDs in regards to corruption as well.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

So it's a KDE issue? I thought it's Vega specific. Reported it here.
        As all my systems do run very well with Plasma Wayland (RX480, Ryzen 3 2200G, AM1 APU's and several Intel systems), I would like to point out, that I just use the Mesa modesetting drivers on Arch Linux. I've removed all xf86-video* and xf86-input* (except libinput) and it always worked well. Recently I've tested the latest Fedora on an Intel system and the Plasma Wayland experience was terrible... until I've removed the Intel driver that is provided by default. Maybe something you can try as well.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

As all my systems do run very well with Plasma Wayland (RX480, Ryzen 3 2200G, AM1 APU's and several Intel systems), I would like to point out, that I just use the Mesa modesetting drivers on Arch Linux. I've removed all xf86-video* and xf86-input* (except libinput) and it always worked well. Recently I've tested the latest Fedora on an Intel system and the Plasma Wayland experience was terrible... until I've removed the Intel driver that is provided by default. Maybe something you can try as well.
          That's all I have installed from *xf86*:

Code:
          dpkg --list | grep xf86
          ii  libxxf86dga1:amd64                            2:1.1.4-1+b3                            amd64        X11 Direct Graphics Access extension library
          ii  libxxf86vm1:amd64                             1:1.1.4-1+b2                            amd64        X11 XFree86 video mode extension library
          ii  libxxf86vm1:i386                              1:1.1.4-1+b2                            i386         X11 XFree86 video mode extension library

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            A dedicated card. Can't remember if SATA or SAS, probably SATA.

Had issues with corruption in both Windows use and in Linux use.

Spoke with brother, IT guy, he's had issues with NTFS in RAIDs in regards to corruption as well.
            NTFS can't be as it has no idea that it is used on a RAID at all, it would corrupt the same as on a single drive. If it gets corrupted it's the block layer (i.e. the RAID card) that fucks up.

Having the same issues on both Linux and Windows would hint also at hardware issues (as Windows and Linux have completely different drivers for NTFS).

I had quite a few times corruption on windows servers that was the card's fault. Yes it happens also in IT, with 500$+ cards. How they can screw up RAID card firmware so hard after like 2 decades it's beyond me. It's rarer than with consumer hardware, but it's still possible.

This stuff is one of the reasons why mdadm (software) raid exists, if the card is just a dumb sata/sas controller it has much less chances to screw up your array, and the actual RAID code is not rewritten every card/controller generation, but it is the same stuff in Linux that is improved and fixed over time.

Comment

That's all I have installed from *xf86*:

Code:
              dpkg --list | grep xf86
              ii libxxf86dga1:amd64 2:1.1.4-1+b3 amd64 X11 Direct Graphics Access extension library
              ii libxxf86vm1:amd64 1:1.1.4-1+b2 amd64 X11 XFree86 video mode extension library
              ii libxxf86vm1:i386 1:1.1.4-1+b2 i386 X11 XFree86 video mode extension library
              Sorry, my Arch Linux vocabulary didn't fit for your case... I only use modesetting. Which one of the xserver-xorg-video* drivers do you use?

Comment

Sorry, my Arch Linux vocabulary didn't fit for your case... I only use modesetting. Which one of the xserver-xorg-video* drivers do you use?

https://packages.debian.org/search?k...le&section=all
                Here is what I have:

Code:
                dpkg --list | grep xserver-xorg-video
                ii  xserver-xorg-video-all                        1:7.7+19                                amd64        X.Org X server -- output driver metapackage
                ii  xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu                     18.0.1-1+b1                             amd64        X.Org X server -- AMDGPU display driver
                ii  xserver-xorg-video-ati                        1:18.0.1-2                              amd64        X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper
                ii  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev                      1:0.5.0-1                               amd64        X.Org X server -- fbdev display driver
                ii  xserver-xorg-video-intel                      2:2.99.917+git20171229-1+b1             amd64        X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver
                ii  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau                    1:1.0.15-3                              amd64        X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver
                ii  xserver-xorg-video-qxl                        0.1.5-2+b1                              amd64        X.Org X server -- QXL display driver
                ii  xserver-xorg-video-radeon                     1:18.0.1-2                              amd64        X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver
                ii  xserver-xorg-video-vesa                       1:2.4.0-1                               amd64        X.Org X server -- VESA display driver
                ii  xserver-xorg-video-vmware                     1:13.3.0-2                              amd64        X.Org X server -- VMware display driver
                Why would it affect Wayland session though?

Comment

Here is what I have:

Code:
                  dpkg --list | grep xserver-xorg-video
                  ii xserver-xorg-video-all 1:7.7+19 amd64 X.Org X server -- output driver metapackage
                  ii xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu 18.0.1-1+b1 amd64 X.Org X server -- AMDGPU display driver
                  ii xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:18.0.1-2 amd64 X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper
                  ii xserver-xorg-video-fbdev 1:0.5.0-1 amd64 X.Org X server -- fbdev display driver
                  ii xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.917+git20171229-1+b1 amd64 X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver
                  ii xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.15-3 amd64 X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver
                  ii xserver-xorg-video-qxl 0.1.5-2+b1 amd64 X.Org X server -- QXL display driver
                  ii xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:18.0.1-2 amd64 X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver
                  ii xserver-xorg-video-vesa 1:2.4.0-1 amd64 X.Org X server -- VESA display driver
                  ii xserver-xorg-video-vmware 1:13.3.0-2 amd64 X.Org X server -- VMware display driver
                  Why would it affect Wayland session though?
                  This is what always worked for me, but I cannot explain it technically. Maybe related to Glamor and Xwayland. As far as I know only the modesetting driver is know to work well on Wayland and it was used by the developers of Kwin, especially the Intel one is badly supported and some distributions even decided to get rid of it. So I think it would be worth to try to only use the modesetting driver as well for AMD. I personally do not see a reason why I need these drivers anyway.

Comment

This is what always worked for me, but I cannot explain it technically. Maybe related to Glamor and Xwayland. As far as I know only the modesetting driver is know to work well on Wayland and it was used by the developers of Kwin, especially the Intel one is badly supported and some distributions even decided to get rid of it. So I think it would be worth to try to only use the modesetting driver as well for AMD. I personally do not see a reason why I need these drivers anyway.
                    I see. I can't uninstall those packages cleanly (tons of stuff in Debian depends on them), but I simply changed this config:

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf to modesetting instead of amdgpu:

Code:
                    Section "OutputClass"
                            Identifier "AMDgpu"
                            MatchDriver "amdgpu"
                            Driver "modesetting"
                    EndSection
                    It's indicated in Xorg.0.log. But it didn't actually help with Wayland session crash. May be it needs some other configuration to force it for XWayland?

Comment

I see. I can't uninstall those packages cleanly (tons of stuff in Debian depends on them), but I simply changed this config:

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf to modesetting instead of amdgpu:

Code:
                      Section "OutputClass"
                      Identifier "AMDgpu"
                      MatchDriver "amdgpu"
                      Driver "modesetting"
                      EndSection
                      It's indicated in Xorg.0.log. But it didn't actually help with Wayland session crash. May be it needs some other configuration to force it for XWayland?
                      Didn't expect that :-( On Arch Linux, Fedora and OpenSuse tumbleweed you can just remove them. The only option would be to just try on a USB stick another distribution verify that this is not related to the packaging or distribution specifics. The only Vega I have is an internal one (Ryzen 3 2200G) and Plasma Wayland works there well with the modesetting driver (besides some general system instabilities, sometimes the system freezes during boot).

Comment

Working...
                      X