KDE 4.2 Beta 1 Desktop Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
    I just tried the LiveCD and it did little but crash, just like Kubuntu 8.10, albeit a little more gracefully, if that's possible.

Still looking forward to 9.04 though, hopefully it'll work better..
    Isn't the live cd based on suse packages? I'm using them now and I find them to be really surprisingly stable. If you install suse then add the unstable kde repo then it probably will work nicely. Do it in a vm if you don't want any risks

Comment

I am loving the themed kickoff menu and the new settings for the panel and desktop. The only feature from KDE 3 that I can think of which is missing is the ability to individually change the wallpapers of each virtual desktop.

I am glad they added more compiz plugins like the cube. I doubt many kde users will be downloading compiz anymore, since it has been so nicely integrated.

With the Jaunty packages I have noticed a few glitches regarding that button on the top right of the desktop, and I have noticed some problems with plasma. Nothing major, but I certainly recommend keeping it inside a virtual machine at least until the release candidate.

Now if only I could get DRI2 compiled...

Comment

I've got openSUSE 11.1 RC1 with KDE /trunk packages running on my main rig. Far and away better than 4.1.x provided with Kubuntu that I'd been using. A lot snappier, a lot more feature-complete (though not necessarily implemented as it was in KDE3 - see the slider in Dolphin to resize icons, for example), and, as a whole, more stable. konqueror's finicky, Dolphin borks when trying to preview relatively large files (over 1GB), and some of the Comic widget engines crash the applet.

Still, it's shaping up nicely. I do miss having a different background for each screen which using xrander to do dual-head (not it's cloning the wallpaper). But at least the zoomable user interface is enabled and worked (unlike Kubuntu right now).

Comment

A QUESTION: mouse-button menus...?

A QUESTION: what about mouse-button menus, and mouse-wheel desktop-changes?

I just spent a weekend installing and re-installing Mandriva 2009.0 PowerPack (which, by the time online-upgrades
          are finished, defaults to KDE 4.1.3). The real deal-breaker was that I could find no way to enable mouse-button-in-root-window application and window-list menus. I had lots of trouble just finding how to do focus-follows-mouse...

I wound up re-installing as no-KDE, and then bringing in KDE3 off the net--but wasted all day Saturday struggling, trying to fix KDE4, or else to uninstall it cleanly.

Is that just a 4.1.x deficiency, or is that part of the plan for KDE in the future? (Looking at the "plan" documents, I don't see anything about this issue.)

Comment

what do you mean by "mouse-button menus"? You mean like right-click context menus? I've been using KDE4 since 3.93, and, to the best of my knowledge, they never went away.

I'm not going to pretend that each and every functionality from 3.5.10 is back in 4.2 - they're not. But a lot of them are. It's just that not everything is accomplished the same way, and that trips people up.

That's one thing the KDE people need to step up and take care of. It seems like there's great strides being made (as far as feature parity and usability), but they aren't communicating it well. THey pretty much leave it at "yep, this functionality is back." I know openSUSE has a "welcome to KDE4" type thing on the first log on popup, but that's for 4.1.3. 4.2 is very, very different usability wise.

Comment

Once it is fully polished it should rock the universe

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
                what do you mean by "mouse-button menus"? You mean like right-click context menus? I've been using KDE4 since 3.93, and, to the best of my knowledge, they never went away...
                For KDE3, the effect controlled by Control Center > Desktop > Behyavior > Mouse Button Actions
                (choices are "Application Menu" "Desktop Menu" "Window List Menu") -- the effect is that mouse
                clicks in the root window bring up the corresponding menu: is "context menus" the correct term
                for that? I've had some variation of them in every Linux window manager I've used over the last fourteen years, and frankly the KDE3 ones are the best I've found.

Because I'm doing extremely-detailed GIS work, I use *large* virtual displays -- 3200x2560, on
                a physical-1920x1200 screen. Having the above-mentioned window and application control "at my fingertips" anywhere on screen is essential to the way I work -- to the point that its absence is a deal-breaker. Having to go a long way to some corner of the virtual screen is not really workable for me.

I hunted for quite literally hours trying to get that functionality in Mandriva's 4.1.3 and failed utterly on my upgrade last weekend, to the point that I did a no-KDE install (the installation sources only come with KDE4, not KDE3 as an option), and then went back and installed KDE3 "by hand".

I then went looking at the planning documents for KDE 4.2, and wasn't able to find anything about such mouse-button-activated menus. My question: is this an oversight in the docs, so that I can expect them to work properly in some later edition of KDE4? Or am I out of luck?

Comment

Working...
                X