Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Rolling Out KDE Plasma Desktop Support, Plus Some Benchmarks Against GNOME Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Klear Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by matthewtrescott View Post
      KSnapshot has been succeeded by Spectacle for quite some time now.
      Replacing apps with new ones is a bit of controversial solution. Users may not know about the name chance, there may be no migration path of some settings/data if applicable and the feature set may be incomplete or different, plus stability and quality. In case of Spectacle I'm missing saving subsequent screenshots in the same location with incremental filter suffix. It's either manual save-as or generic named auto-saved to a folder (so to not mix up multiple screenshots you have to go and rename/move them anyway).

Comment

With all these tests being fullscreen (am I right?), are they really testing the desktop environment? I hear that the compositor needs to be involved, but possibly not that much.

Are there any desktop benchmarking tests that would show how well graphics are handled for desktop use - e.g., creation of interface components in windowed applications, running video in a windowed application, resizing windows with lots of components. I suggest this naïvely, really, as I don't know how much of these things are down to the desktop graphics system and how much are application code.

Comment

This is good, thanks!

Comment

I would like to install Clear Linux provided by PLASMA. How to make it? What's the procedure to apply?

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post

In case of Spectacle I'm missing saving subsequent screenshots in the same location with incremental filter suffix. It's either manual save-as or generic named auto-saved to a folder (so to not mix up multiple screenshots you have to go and rename/move them anyway).
              You can configure the save name in various ways, fixed pre/suffix, window title, timestamp. You can also change the target folder.

Comment

Originally posted by StefanBruens View Post
                You can configure the save name in various ways, fixed pre/suffix, window title, timestamp. You can also change the target folder.
                It's configuration, not on-use behavior that KSnapshot had.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  Amazing news! I don't know how to download the iso of this linux operating system yet!
                  Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  I would like to install Clear Linux provided by PLASMA. How to make it? What's the procedure to apply?
                  It's quite simple. Go to https://cdn.download.clearlinux.org/current/ and download the clear-VER#-installer.img.xz to your computer. Follow this guide. However, I don't think it's possible to directly install KDE Plasma without installing GNOME first because sddm isn't included in the desktop-kde package yet. So make sure desktop-autostart is selected during the install (at the end -- this installs the GNOME Desktop and GDM). Then, login, go to a terminal, and type:
                  Code:
                  sudo swupd bundle-add desktop-kde
                  Once it's done, reboot, and select KDE Plasma in GDM.

Hope that helps! Enjoy using Clear Linux, my favorite binary distro

Comment

Too bad Clear Linux doesn't support "older" CPUs such as Core2Duos. I would definitely like to give a try, but I can't, because CPU.

Comment

The experience is quite stock
                      Stock, but not default.
                      Why did they choose to change the default widgets and window borders to "Plastique", the KDE3 look?

Comment

Working...
                      X