Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Rolling Out KDE Plasma Desktop Support, Plus Some Benchmarks Against GNOME Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux Rolling Out KDE Plasma Desktop Support, Plus Some Benchmarks Against GNOME Shell

Phoronix: Clear Linux Rolling Out KDE Plasma Desktop Support, Plus Some Benchmarks Against GNOME Shell

The performance-optimized Clear Linux distribution out of Intel's Open-Source Technology Center started out with Xfce as its lone desktop option and then added and moved over to the GNOME Shell as the default desktop. While GNOME Shell remains the default desktop choice for this rolling-release Linux distribution, KDE components have begun appearing in recent days.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks pretty close in most cases, which makes sense. There are the obvious major differences in the GpuTest benchmarks, but I'm sure the resident trolls would say this is just a case of fake news or leftist PC gone mad.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      The experience is quite stock and there isn't any Clear brandhing on the KDE desktop at this point,

Comment

KSnapshot has been succeeded by Spectacle for quite some time now.

Comment

nice comparison - I am sure the KDE Plasma/Kwin teams will sort that performance difference out in time.

Comment

Will be interesting to see Plasma Wayland included in the next test.

Comment

Were the tests done in fullscreen or windowed? And does it make any difference?

Comment

ClearLinux with KDE! This was what I was waiting for a long time. I will try this as my next desktop. I'm currently on KDE Neon.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                  Were the tests done in fullscreen or windowed? And does it make any difference?
                  It makes a significant difference if compositing is blocked while the application is fullscreen — for this to be done, it needs to send a hint to the windowing system, but most modern games should do that out of the box. Of course, you could also disable the compositor yourself; IIRC, by default, Kwin lets you toggle compositing by pressing Alt+Shift+F12.

Comment

Amazing news! I don't know how to download the iso of this linux operating system yet!

Comment

Working...
                    X