Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.19 Adds Deferred Console Takeover Support For FBDEV - Cleaner Boot Process

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.19 Adds Deferred Console Takeover Support For FBDEV - Cleaner Boot Process

Phoronix: Linux 4.19 Adds Deferred Console Takeover Support For FBDEV - Cleaner Boot Process

While FBDEV has been on its last leg for years with some calling for its deprecation and encouraging instead DRM/KMS drivers rather than (mostly embedded vendors) focusing on FBDEV frame-buffer drivers, with Linux 4.19 the FBDEV subsystem is bringing a useful addition to the kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Defer-Console

does FBDEV handle EFI framebuffers?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
      does FBDEV handle EFI framebuffers?
      Yes, there is an efifb driver for the EFI framebuffer.

Comment

This is great.

The current flickering during the Linux boot process is definitely a subpar experience compared to the boot visuals of Windows and macOS.

Comment

If this isn't merged I'm probably going to cry.

It's what, the third attempt at hiding the weirdness happening in the boot process?

All hail RedHat, as usual.

Comment

That should probably read "upcoming Fedora 29 release.". Fedora 28 is already out.

Comment

Originally posted by asoltesz View Post
              This is great.

The current flickering during the Linux boot process is definitely a subpar experience compared to the boot visuals of Windows and macOS.
              Indeed, and every time I stare at the boot process for the precious seconds that pass, I cry at the thought that I could be getting a superior boot experience if only I used another OS. Think of how much better things could be!

Wait, no. I've not actually noticed the bootup process for ages... I power on, say good morning to my colleagues, and by the time I sit down, I've got a login prompt. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by mcp13 View Post
                That should probably read "upcoming Fedora 29 release.". Fedora 28 is already out.
                fedora updates kernels after release

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  fedora updates kernels after release
                  It does, but that still doesn't make F28 an "upcoming release". Not without a time machine.

Comment

Originally posted by asoltesz View Post
                    This is great.

First world problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X