Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GIMP 2.10.6 Adds Support For Vertical Text, New GEGL Filters, Async Layer Previews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.10.6 Adds Support For Vertical Text, New GEGL Filters, Async Layer Previews

Phoronix: GIMP 2.10.6 Adds Support For Vertical Text, New GEGL Filters, Async Layer Previews

The GIMP team has released a new point release today to GIMP 2.10 stable. While the version may not be indicative of significant changes, there are some prominent user-facing improvements with this release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So any more excuses for using Photoshop instead? Does any professional use GIMP 2.10?

Comment

So, I happened to use GIMP today and wished for a node-based editor. After a look at the roadmap, I can't wait for 3.2 😃

Comment

Not professional but I was once a commissioned artist. Still am an artist and I do love to use the gimp. It can be used after taking a picture of something sketched and be used to do some pretty dang nice stuff. I have used it a ton and am plenty experienced with it for what I like to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
          So, I happened to use GIMP today and wished for a node-based editor. After a look at the roadmap, I can't wait for 3.2 😃
          We haven't really decided on implementation details yet. Won't necessarily be a node editor. We'll see

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            So any more excuses for using Photoshop instead? Does any professional use GIMP 2.10?
            The tools are still vastly different.

- No non-destructive editing (Smart Objects as Layers ~ a PSD inside a PSD that is scalable and filters can be applied on top of)
            - The UX update is still not complete (The left-hand toolbox cannot easily be moved to the right hand side or scaled down to 1 row of icons.
            - We still have obnoxious unprofessional loading screens but it may have gotten less worse.
            - IIRC there still are color profile issues so professionals who need exact ICC color will have trouble as each DE implements color differently.
            - Professionals I know at GAP, Athleta, etc... are interested in automation and scripting -- the ability to predefine macros to automate certain color and editing operations such-as a find levels, etc...
            - The icon is still obnoxious, a dog with a paint brush in his mouth (How good could a dog paint with his mouth?)
            - The name is still obnoxious GIMP -- basically a BDSM sex slave. I rename the one on my computer "Image Factory", have a pro icon and use the GTK3 build so the UI isn't a professional embarrassment in multi million dollar company dealings.
            - The Rulers & Guides system is less intuitive and more difficult to measure and create geometric shapes for web design, business card layout and other enginering prototyping.
            - Do we still not have SVG layers?
            - On document resize each layer still has to be manually resized otherwise drawing hits an invisible edge.
            - The color selector is in the toolbox which makes no sense considering tool options are in a seperate box.
            - the UI doesn't have specifically defind corners for differing functions -- see Rethinkscape - an Inkscape UI redesign proposal.

For many people it's still easier and more practical to buy a $300 used window box and buy photoshop for work.

Maybe someday, but definitely not today.

GIMP is still not the "practical" choice. In a workplace optimizing "income", who cares if it cost $300 or $15,000 what matters is $income - $costs = $profits

GIMP could very easily sell support contracts and do for-hire feature coding into the project and make millions of dollars, they just dont.

Right now the biggest innovator in the open source image space is Krita, in other areas Krita is already on par or superior to certain aspects of Photoshop.
            Last edited by ElectricPrism; 19 August 2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              The left-hand toolbox cannot easily be moved to the right hand side or scaled down to 1 row of icons.
              Define "easily"

- IIRC there still are color profile issues so professionals who need exact ICC color will have trouble as each DE implements color differently.
              How is GIMP faulty of DE specifics, exactly? Please clarify.

- The icon is still obnoxious, a dog with a paint brush in his mouth (How good could a dog paint with his mouth?)
              - The name is still obnoxious GIMP -- basically a BDSM sex slave. I rename the one on my computer "Image Factory", have a pro icon and use the GTK3 build so the UI isn't a professional embarrassment in multi million dollar company dealings.
              OK, I get it. You don't like the name and the icon. You don't seem to have anything against Krita's Kiki though. Would you like to explain this sudden inconsistency?

- The Rulers & Guides system is less intuitive
              Define "intuitive"

- Do we still not have SVG layers?
              Nope. Not yet.

- The color selector is in the toolbox which makes no sense considering tool options are in a seperate box.
              Oh, right. You never had to fill a selection with FG/BG color and know exactly beforehand what color that would be. And you'd rather expect the FG/BG widget to be in selection tool's options, because that would make oh so much sense What did I miss?

- the UI doesn't have specifically defind corners for differing functions -- see Rethinkscape - an Inkscape UI redesign proposal.
              1. Rethinkscape doesn't even operate on something called "specifically defind corners for differing functions". What exactly are you referring to?

2. When you point out you want something in GIMP on a 3rd party discussion platform, what exactly do you expect to happen, in comparison to bringing that up in, oh, I dunno, GIMP's bugtracker?

GIMP could very easily sell support contracts and do for-hire feature coding into the project and make millions of dollars, they just dont.
              1. GIMP selling contracts? You are joking, right? Tell me you are.

2. Oh right. Both funded developers barely scratch $1K on Patreon each whereas they could be making millions by... Um... Er... Doing exactly the same thing they have already been doing?

I'm sorry if I'm overly sarcastic. I find it difficult to deal with people in general, especially when they make statements based on god knows what facts.
              Last edited by prokoudine; 19 August 2018, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I just looked into that project and have sadly discovered it has stalled. I'd love to see a small redesign of Inkscape based on GTK+ 3.22 and a view to making the UI very consistent.

Comment

ElectricPrism is off his meds.

Comment

I'm sorry but GIMP just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I'm hardly a "professional", but I do enough graphical editing at my work, to care. I actually started out with GIMP back in the day and I will be forever grateful to both the developers and the amazing community. However, let's be honest - Photoshop it is not. PS is much easier and more intuitive to use. Anything I can do in GIMP, I do twice as fast in PS. And yes - Photoshop IS expensive. But there are other options. I've been using Affinity Photo at work for the past couple of months and I love it. It has a similar interface, similar hotkeys and about 90% of the functionality of PS. For a one time payment of 50 euro - this is amazing. I would much rather if there was a paid version of GIMP that would allow them to make it more user friendly.

PS Seriously - they should add a PS hotkeys layout option.

Comment

Working...
                    X