Trinity Desktop R14.0.5 Lets You Keep Enjoying The KDE 3 Experience In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    People thinking today's Plasma is bloated, never had the displeasure of running Windows 10 on a 2GB, HDD machine. Especially if it was not turned up for a month and started looking for upgrades...
    I don't think Plasma would even run on a 2GB machine

At least Windows tries haha.

Neither are productive.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Neither are productive.
      That's bullshit. Plasma starts up and the whole OS uses about 500MB of ram. Can you run Firefox, which is way bigger that the whole OS, on a 2GB machine? Yeah? You can run plasma on it too. The problem with a 2GB machine is not going to be its GUI interfaces, it's going to be the applications you choose to run on it. And BTW this is 2018 if you didn't know, ram is available way the fuck bigger than 2GB, time to put your money where your mouth is.

Comment

All DEs are good for what they are designed for. None of them is perfect. Diminishing the work of one of the biggest OSS project is not helpful for the community.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Neither are productive.
          You just showed that you never used KDE on a modest machine.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            You just showed that you never used KDE ..
            fixed.

Comment

Now that I found spare time, I started looking for it. For the hell of it, can't find actual link to 14.0.5 tarballs.. 14.0.4 is "latest" that shows up in it's download mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

That's bullshit. Plasma starts up and the whole OS uses about 500MB of ram. Can you run Firefox, which is way bigger that the whole OS, on a 2GB machine? Yeah? You can run plasma on it too. The problem with a 2GB machine is not going to be its GUI interfaces, it's going to be the applications you choose to run on it. And BTW this is 2018 if you didn't know, ram is available way the fuck bigger than 2GB, time to put your money where your mouth is.
                More of a reason for dislike is Plasma's UI design. Some find it pleasing, streamlined and what not.. Some don't like it. I personally find it disgusting. It tries to copycat developments that have occured in windows, for example: changing the logic of main menu. Whole thing overall has too many bells and whistles attached to it.

Keep it simple Win95/98-like, somewhat nicer to look at than XFCE and that's all I ask. KDE3 is pretty much dead-on there.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

More of a reason for dislike is Plasma's UI design. Some find it pleasing, streamlined and what not.. Some don't like it. I personally find it disgusting. It tries to copycat developments that have occured in windows, for example: changing the logic of main menu. Whole thing overall has too many bells and whistles attached to it.

Keep it simple Win95/98-like, somewhat nicer to look at than XFCE and that's all I ask. KDE3 is pretty much dead-on there.
                  It's fine what you like, but Plasma has like 4 different styles of application menu, including one that very much resembles a classic start menu.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    Though I suppose that plasma 5 has some nice GPU acceleration that 3.5 doesn't have, which could actually make it run better and more battery efficiently, even on old hardware

I agree with the first part, though. I think my first Linux desktop was using KDE 3.
                    KDE 3 didn't need acceleration to run well. It could do a decent job even on the old Intel Extreme Graphics, and Intel GMA900/950, on CPUs between 500-1000 MHz. It just doesn't need much to run well, and on current hardware it's a breeze to use it. I loved it back in the day, but after the KDE4 fiasco I moved to Gnome 2, then MATE and Cinnamon. I still like KDE 3/Trinity, but it feels too old. However, its performance is excellent. Try it, you'll be surprised. Q4OS is a decent distro for a "quick play".

Comment

It's fine what you like, but Plasma has like 4 different styles of application menu, including one that very much resembles a classic start menu.
                      Point for you, I found that once I got rid of that default Breeze theme, it's looks did improve (replaced it with an Oxygen from FreeBSD ports).

Point for kpedersen . With Plasma running on 11.2-RELEASE (using UFS not RAM-hungry ZFS) about 550 MB RAM was consumed. Which ran into 2GB after I opened half a dozen tabs on Chrome (different web site in each) and simple console window. Not usable outside light web browsing with just 2GB RAM IMHO (system it ran on has actually 12GB, so no real issue for me)

Last edited by aht0; 28 August 2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X