No announcement yet.

Trinity Desktop R14.0.5 Lets You Keep Enjoying The KDE 3 Experience In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be great if KDE3.5 was revived - or TDE patches were backported back to KDE 3.5 code base. KDE 3.5 is blazingly fast, extremely lean and dandy,

Don't know why but I just don't like the TDE approach - all those classes renames and such.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
      Does it work on Wayland?
      No. Not much does or ever will natively. Which is why Wayland will always remain a niche toy.

Its funny, I remember KDE 3.5 being relatively bloated and slow. Though honestly *nothing* compared to the monstrocity that is the kiddie desktop environments we have today.

Comment

My experience with KDE (which I've used since 1.1) in 3.5 was.. it was still much less stable than Plasma was in its unstable times. KDE of old used to crash a lot. Only at around 3.5.10 or .13 it became "usable". So I just don't get the point of TDE anymore.
        I tried Gnome briefly during early Fedora Core times and found it at KDE 1.1 level feature and customisability wise. Tool for true "adults", who like to live the past.
        I am hearing nothing really changed in Gnome camp since.
        Last edited by reavertm; 18 August 2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I don't get the hate for Plasma. I get that people might want to use something else. But why bashing the amazing work the guys are putting down to create a clean, consistent and productive environment?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            No. Not much does or ever will natively. Which is why Wayland will always remain a niche toy.
            Stuff will work on Wayland the same way it worked on X11, by using a framework that supports it (GTK or Qt). Most applications don't use X11 or the compositor directly.

It's just the DEs that need a few more years to actually mature their compositors. It's slow but it will eventually reach an usable state.

Comment

Originally posted by BraindeadBZH View Post
              I don't get the hate for Plasma. I get that people might want to use something else. But why bashing the amazing work the guys are putting down to create a clean, crashing consistent and productive tablet environment with insane CPU/RAM/disk requirements?
              FTFY.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                I don't get the hate for Plasma. I get that people might want to use something else. But why bashing the amazing work the guys are putting down to create a clean, crashing consistent and productive tablet environment with insane CPU/RAM/disk requirements?
                FTFY.
                That's GNOME (on wayland), not Plasma.
                This is Plasma http://zdnet1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r...02/leapkde.png
                This is GNOME https://www.howtoforge.com/images/th...3.2/big/22.png

Comment

People thinking today's Plasma is bloated, never had the displeasure of running Windows 10 on a 2GB, HDD machine. Especially if it was not turned up for a month and started looking for upgrades...

My standard Kubuntu 18.04 installation starts at less than 400 MB of RAM consumption. For a modern, feature full DE, its a miracle of efficiency. Wayland works well, I do not use it everyday not because of KDE or Wayland, but because my favorite video player (SMPlayer) and a game (ATS), does not work well with it. Other stuff, like browsers, Steam, native KDE programs, work like a charm.

There is a lot die hard fans of Windows XP. Looks like we have those same kind of people on our side too.

Comment

KDE is starting to look pretty wonky. Not ran KDE in well over a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Thank you for that. Those screenshots remind me of why I hated both of them the last time I checked them out.
                      It's like they took completely opposite approaches to irritate me.

Comment

Working...
                      X