Trinity Desktop R14.0.5 Lets You Keep Enjoying The KDE 3 Experience In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity Desktop R14.0.5 Lets You Keep Enjoying The KDE 3 Experience In 2018

Phoronix: Trinity Desktop R14.0.5 Lets You Keep Enjoying The KDE 3 Experience In 2018

For those that have fond memories of the K Desktop Environment 3, you can still enjoy a KDE3-derived experience in 2018 with the just-released Trinity Desktop R14.0.5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it work on Wayland?

Comment

KDE3.5 is both, nice looking and functional..

Shove the "Plasma" where Sun does not shine..

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
        KDE3.5 is both, nice looking and functional..

Shove the "Plasma" where Sun does not shine..
        Though I suppose that plasma 5 has some nice GPU acceleration that 3.5 doesn't have, which could actually make it run better and more battery efficiently, even on old hardware

I agree with the first part, though. I think my first Linux desktop was using KDE 3.

Comment

Old good times, I remember when I used Mandriva Xtreme (2007?) with KDE3.X.
          It looked like this and had cool effects, eg burning minimized windows

Cena domeny: 2900 PLN. Możliwość dzierżawy za 249 PLN miesięcznie. Oferta sprzedaży znajduje się w serwisie AfterMarket.pl, największej giełdzie domen internetowych w Polsce.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
            Does it work on Wayland?
            Does Wayland work ? Besides Gnome nothing else uses it... After a decade of development the thing is nowhere finished...

Comment

Right now I'm using Compal HEL80 with Intel Core T2400 ~1,8 Ghz, with 300 GB HDD, 1,5 GB of RAM(!), 2GB Dynamic Swap and Q4OS, where Trinity is a main DE.

In bare OS I've managed to get ~210 MB(!) RAM used, while with all apps installed but not running, RAM usage jumped to the 780 MB.

Of course, with FireFox 61 and some windows apps via wine, I'm frequently bogged by lack of RAM; 1,48 GB is used, 200-150 MB are free, swap - around 25-50% used.
              And while swap is in use, the computer is literally unusuable. So, I would recommend to get at least (in my opinion) 3 GB for quite smooth ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

Does Wayland work ? Besides Gnome nothing else uses it... After a decade of development the thing is nowhere finished...
                For everything else there is compton.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

Though I suppose that plasma 5 has some nice GPU acceleration that 3.5 doesn't have, which could actually make it run better and more battery efficiently, even on old hardware

I agree with the first part, though. I think my first Linux desktop was using KDE 3.
                  On my previous laptop (I have yet to install Q4OS with Trinity on this laptop), which I had until 1.5 months ago, Trinity gave me way better battery life than Plasma. Intel card, btw. So if GPU acceleration actually should do something for battery life, the Plasma folks sure didn't try hard as Trinity gave me better battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
                    Does it work on Wayland?
                    For that it would need to be ported to Qt5 first, but there's no work going on to port it to Qt5 currently.

Comment

Working...
                    X