GNOME Celebrates Its 21st Birthday By Releasing GNOME 3.29.91

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

And it's really no holy grail in usability. In example: ever tried adding stuff to the panel? It's surely possible, but the process is awkward and not intuitive in any way. I look forward to Gnome 3.30, too. I think they're doing fine.
    that's odd, usually to add applet ot stuff to the panel on XFCE, you make right click on the panel, go to the last tab and add and remove items. Maybe I'm used to work around XFCE. On Gnome I think you should install gnome-tweak and look for extension. The applet on XFCE usually come on the distro package manager.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
      Xfce is terribly maintained and apparently their users don't like to report bugs.
      This is a regression from 2009 [...] and they only just fixed it.
      ... and you have done what ?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

There is no need to look forward, use Xfce. Xfce is light, fast, stable and freely configurable.
        The problem with XFCE is that the window corners are not anti-aliased (from the official screenshots) and anything not anti-aliased in 2018 is unpolished.

Also, where is my full HiDPI support?

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

Acted as a good citizen and reported that bug (a duplicate of it) after only two hours of installing/trying Xfce on a friend's machine for the first time since 2004. Apparently regular Xfce users didn't notice it in 9 years...
          Last edited by Guest; 16 August 2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

There is no need to look forward, use Xfce. Xfce is light, fast, stable and freely configurable.
            There is no need to enforce your views on others. Everyone is free to enjoy whatever they want.

(also, the few times I tried Xfce, it wasn't stable at all - all others DE's were, so it wasn't hardware-related)

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

He reported a duplicate of that bug, so he did something: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14435
              Also, the problem isn't so much that they only now *fixed* the bug, the problem is that they only now DISCOVERED the bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

There is no need to enforce your views on others. Everyone is free to enjoy whatever they want.

(also, the few times I tried Xfce, it wasn't stable at all - all others DE's were, so it wasn't hardware-related)
                I like XFCE and have used it for a while but honestly i3 is really what I have came to like the most. Its' tabing and on the fly workspace generation is really cool. Dmenu makes things lightning quick and if I want I can use thunar to execute XFCE's desktop icons just like having icons on the desktop in XFCE. Bling is nice but for me i3 shines the brightest without having any, tis utilitarian beauty.
                Last edited by creative; 18 August 2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

I like XFCE and have used it for a while but honestly i3 is really what I have came to like the most. Its' tabing and on the fly workspace generation is really cool. Dmenu makes things lightning quick and if I want I can use thunar to execute XFCE's desktop icons just like having icons on the desktop in XFCE. Bling is nice but for me i3 shines the brightest without having any, tis utilitarian beauty.
                  What do you think of Sway?
                  i3-compatible Wayland compositor. Contribute to swaywm/sway development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

cybertraveler It looks like a really nice WM. I just use i3wm and when I want tearless video I use the dmenu to execute compton. The gaps extension looks interesting. Interested if it's as lean resource and code wise as i3 which is written in C.

I mainly use tabs instead of creating a container within a workspace or tiling, but workspace one is all floating/original size snapped with monitoring apps. Workspace 2 is htop full screened and workspace three and four are my tabbing mess's that I manage easily.

I am not on Wayland.

I know i3 takes about a good 100MB of ram less than XFCE while running, which honestly is not something huge especially considering how sleek XFCE looks.
                    Last edited by creative; 18 August 2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Honestly the new Gnome desktop is pretty dang nice for what it is, its just not my cup of tea.

Comment

Working...
                      X