Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Celebrates Its 21st Birthday By Releasing GNOME 3.29.91

Phoronix: GNOME Celebrates Its 21st Birthday By Releasing GNOME 3.29.91

Today marks 21 years since the GNOME desktop environment project was started by Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena. Coincidentally, released today is GNOME 3.29.91 that is the GNOME 3.30 desktop's second beta release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

21 years old and still not an adult. Hopefully by 30 they would have grown up. And KDE don't snigger, you are no different -.

Comment

Happy birthday to MATE.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        Happy birthday to MATE.
        That's just plain wrong kid. You missed Gnome 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
          That's just plain wrong kid. You missed Gnome 1.
          I was in college, using Solaris 7 and CDE (and Windows 98 and NT/2000) during that era.

Comment

The things I'm most looking forward to in Gnome 3.30 are:
            • Replacing the drop down app menu thing with a hamburger menu. It may seem like a small thing, but that old app menu just seemed so wrong and the hamburger replacement seems so right; especially as Gnome seems to gradually shift towards being convergent or at least a multi-device-type desktop (phone/tablet/desktop).
            • Better performance.
            • Improvements to their Wayland server implementation.

Comment

Nice milestone. It's seen a lot of change. I remember when Enlightenment was the default WM for it. Those were the days I've always been more of an E user, but I like to mix things up a bit, and Gnome is my 2nd favourite, by a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

There is no need to look forward, use Xfce. Xfce is light, fast, stable and freely configurable.
                And it's really no holy grail in usability. In example: ever tried adding stuff to the panel? It's surely possible, but the process is awkward and not intuitive in any way. I look forward to Gnome 3.30, too. I think they're doing fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                  In example: ever tried adding stuff to the panel? It's surely possible, but the process is awkward and not intuitive in any way.
                  Could you be more specific ? I usually drag and drop things to the panel and it usually works. I also don't understand what's not inituitive in that process...

Comment

Xfce is terribly maintained and apparently their users don't like to report bugs.
                    This is a regression from 2009 https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14102 and they only just fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                    X