DaVinci Resolve 15 Video/Effects Editor Released With Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DaVinci Resolve 15 Video/Effects Editor Released With Linux Support

Phoronix: DaVinci Resolve 15 Video/Effects Editor Released With Linux Support

DaVinci Resolve 15 has been released by Blackmagic Design as the company's professional-grade video editing, visual effects, motion graphics, and audio post-production software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's not often that I am eying proprietary software... But this one seems to have very advanced capabilities, with a nice user interface, at a relatively affordable price. I think I know what I'll get if I need advanced video editing capabilities tomorrow.

Unlike cloud based software, DaVinci Resolve Studio does not require a connection to the internet and there are no monthly subscription fees. Now you can get DaVinci Resolve Studio for only $299
    That's nice to know, but what I was really after was the support included in that package. Do you get updates, for instance? For how long?

Edit: wow, actually, it seems to be free for all intents and purposes for individuals as the paid version only:

Includes everything found in the free version plus multi user collaboration features that let editors, colorists, effects artists and sound engineers all work together on the same project at the same time, plus 3D tools, dozens of Resolve FX and more.
    Now, if only it could be open source...

DaVinci Resolve runs on all major platforms so you can use it at home or in a post facility on a Mac, at a broadcast facility running Windows, or a VFX studio on Linux.
    This probably sums up the OS split in the media world?

I'd like KDEnlive to take a few cues from the workflow and capabilities (but maybe Blender is actually the right tool). At a glance, it seems like DaVinci has been compromising a bit the UI to make their hardware control panels more appealing (conflict of interest, or is it just to display a unified interface?)
    Last edited by M@yeulC; 13 August 2018, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Funny how the new Da Vinci Resolve looks more and more like Blender. Good to see a new release with Linux support, I know at least a couple users who will be happy about that.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
        This probably sums up the OS split in the media world?
        Yeah, I think that's mostly the way it is. Not sure why vfx/compositing joints ended up having Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Yeah, I think that's mostly the way it is. Not sure why vfx/compositing joints ended up having Linux.
          Possibly because they (the big ones, at least) often use a lot of in-house code, and interfacing that with systems with the base code open for inspection is a lot easier?

Comment

At a glance, it seems like DaVinci has been compromising a bit the UI to make their hardware control panels more appealing (conflict of interest, or is it just to display a unified interface?)
            It's not a "conflict of interest" to give away software that works nicely with a piece of hardware you are selling. It's a business strategy.

But the UI of Resolve isn't even compromised - Resolve is color grading software. The color adjustment components are what a professional colorist wants to have front and center. If you want a general purpose video editor and compositor like Kdenlive, the comparable product is Fusion. It's only in this release that a good chunk of Fusion features are being merged into Resolve.
            Last edited by miabrahams; 14 August 2018, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Now, if only it could be open source...
              Considering that it is a payload application that does its job honestly (i.e. is actually doing what it says it does, it does not try to steal my data) , I'll be fine with it be shipped with flatpack or other sandboxed system that would let it work anywhere safely.

Opensource is a real must-have requirement only for the OS itself, imho.

Comment

inb4 worshipping of the holy Blender posts

Comment

I'm not a video editor myself but an Adobe competitor on Linux is always good
                  Last edited by jpenguin; 14 August 2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    inb4 worshipping of the holy Blender posts
                    For what it's worth, a lot of what's new to Resolve has been working well in Blender for years. Resolve does many things, of course, that Blender still doesn't do well (and to a lesser extent, at all).

Comment

Working...
                    X