Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatpak Gets New FreeDesktop SDK 18.08 Runtime

Phoronix: Flatpak Gets New FreeDesktop SDK 18.08 Runtime

Flatpak now has access to an updated FreeDesktop SDK runtime that is built on their new BuildStream build system rather than Yocto and has other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope that applications like Steam and Blender move to that runtime fast... Mesa is quite old in the 1.6 runtime (18.0.4). And I hope that Mesa gets updated more regualary... sad to see that NVidia drivers are getting way more love than Mesa ones.

Comment

Does it mean that the runtime increased in size and bundles even more Gnome components ?

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
        I hope that applications like Steam and Blender move to that runtime fast... Mesa is quite old in the 1.6 runtime (18.0.4). And I hope that Mesa gets updated more regualary... sad to see that NVidia drivers are getting way more love than Mesa ones.
        As current de facto maintainer of Steam container on Flathub I'd say new runtime is very next item on roadmap after cloud syncing workaround is tested and merged. See https://github.com/flathub/com.valve...team/issues/60
        New runtime was already reported to fix multiple bugs

Comment

Just wondering when the flatpak team will find out that we're in 2018 so Flatpak can get a GUI.

You know, the command line died in the beginning of the nineties and the most popular and used tech devices (smartphones) do not even have a keyboard, so... if one day the Linux developers realize this, for sure the Linux market quota of 1% will grow.
          We live in the click-and-done era, people. And even that is ending, the speak-and-done era is taking over. And the command line died in the beginning of the nineties with ms-dos, so why the hell do we keep on holding our Linux back with this basic mistakes?

Comment

Originally posted by pemartins View Post
            Just wondering when the flatpak team will find out that we're in 2018 so Flatpak can get a GUI.
            You mean Gnome Software? Kde's Apper? Both that support package-kit and happen to support Flatpak through that? Since Flatpak 0.5?

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
              Does it mean that the runtime increased in size and bundles even more Gnome components ?
              Yeah it requires every user to buy a 8TB helium-filled hard drive to store it.
              /sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by pemartins View Post

You know, the command line died in the beginning of the nineties and the most popular and used tech devices (smartphones) do not even have a keyboard, so... if one day the Linux developers realize this, for sure the Linux market quota of 1% will grow.
                We live in the click-and-done era, people. And even that is ending, the speak-and-done era is taking over. And the command line died in the beginning of the nineties with ms-dos, so why the hell do we keep on holding our Linux back with this basic mistakes?
                You don't know what happens when programmers are designing application GUIs right?

Linux follows the good unix tradition of splitting applications in a backend and a frontend. This allows programmers to actually focus on the real deal (the backend) while programmers with a different skill set can work on the frontend.

Btw, also Kde Discover (a Gnome Software equivalent for KDE) supports flatpak.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
                  I had an answer to this but it got stuck in moderation queue

Comment

Splitting front end and back end in a single final product in marketing terms means incomplete job and nothing else. It's a bad job, plain and simple. You can even be delivering the cure for cancer that still no more than 1% tops of the possible clients would even consider looking at it.

2018 and the first steps towards one being able to install every Linux app in every Linux distro are just now being given. We still do not have our .exe or our .apk. This is not even worthy of qualifying, it's just a bad joke. And even when those first steps, still baby steps, are being given, it still needs to be integrated god knows where with what, plus doing this, this and that...
                    The old unix way for sure but... seriously, how many brain surgeons does it take to realize that the model is broken and does not work?

I really hope that one day Linux programmers will read a marketing book and start working as a team for the whole. If that day ever happens the first thing we'll get is a 'Linux Google Play Store clone' for all Linux apps. Simultaneously making android apps run on Linux will be top priority, or at least having a working Android app player for Linux. Yes because I hope someday someone sill realize that there are more than 3.300 million Android apps (up to date).
                    Then and only then there will be the basics to show the general market that Linux is an option because it offers what the market is looking for.

And if/when that day comes and the Linux user base grows exponentially, as so will grow donations for the projects and revenue sources (a 'Linux Google Play Store clone' supported by advertising and donations anyone?). But this is nonsense, I really hope I do not have to explain how multiplying the user base can be synonymous of multiplying the revenue, I really hope things are not that bad.

Until that happens we'll keep on seeing many more music player apps and note taker apps and similar unneeded projects and few more than that, while having beautiful amazing things like kde and deepin, having light malware-free and fast operating systems given away for free and nobody even considering looking at them.
                    Sorry for being so harsh but by know smooth talk does not seem to take any effect at all, so maybe some hard love will help change mentalities.

Comment

Working...
                    X