Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by llort_lemmort View Post
    Are all KDE apps this ugly?
    I personally haven't seen an uglier KDE app. That's a whole new level.

EDIT: Statement still valid about andyprough's screenshot below my comment.
    Last edited by Guest; 10 August 2018, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

That screenshot you provided doesn't look like a screenshot of Ring-KDE. Not even the title bar text matches the screenshot provided by Michael. I think that might be a screenshot of an older version of the official Ring.cx desktop software.
      Here's the dial screen from the latest version on my Tumbleweed setup. Seems fairly benignly KDE-ish.

Comment

Is it possible to link account to another device now? That feature didn't work for me in previous versions.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Here's the dial screen from the latest version on my Tumbleweed setup. Seems fairly benignly KDE-ish.

This screenshot is very different to the first one you linked.

I'm 99% sure that the first screenshot you linked is not Ring-KDE. The first screenshot you linked looks relatively well designed. The quoted screenshot above is Ring-KDE, but with a different skin/theme to the one Michael linked. The quoted screenshot above has many of the issues originally pointed out by ElectricPrism and some new ones.

I think it's great that people are working on a KDE Ring client, but ElectricPrism is right: it doesn't look good. There are shared standards of design, aesthetics and ergonomics (especially) just as there are shared 'best practice' standards of coding. This program is not following those shared standards of design, aesthetics and ergonomics.

I think it would be a big improvement if they simply added some spacing outside and inside every widget. It would also be improved if they improved the alignment of many widgets (e.g. the hamburger menu button in the bottom left of your screenshot is not horizontally centred within its container... and it lacks external spacing beneath it). Furthermore, hamburger menus are typically positioned at the top of applications not the bottom: things like this are important. Developers shouldn't break user expectations. Users should be able to intuitively use applications. Their intuition is formed based on their existing experience of using other applications that all follow conventions. Everytime a user is surprised by the behaviour of an application or they have to search around for something on the UI because it's not where they expected, their frustration is increased, their time is wasted and the overall user experience is reduced.
          Last edited by cybertraveler; 10 August 2018, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

This screenshot is very different to the first one you linked.

I'm 99% sure that the first screenshot you linked is not Ring-KDE. The first screenshot you linked looks relatively well designed. The quoted screenshot above is Ring-KDE, but with a different skin/theme to the one Michael linked. The quoted screenshot above has many of the issues originally pointed out by ElectricPrism and some new ones.
            You are probably correct. The first is one I grabbed online. The one above is an actual screenshot after installing the 3.0.0 appimage on my Tumbleweed system. I installed it without changing any defaults. Not sure how the screenshots that Michael showed were obtained, but that's a dark theme that I found quite ugly. I think the screenshot I took is clean and in keeping with typical KDE applications.
            Last edited by andyprough; 10 August 2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Looks fine. Relax. That person was just using crappy settings.

Looks a lot better, but still room for improvement.

Comment

... but that's a dark theme that I found quite ugly...
                Yeah, I thought that was an ugly theme too. I prefer the one you linked.

Comment

Working...
                X