GNOME Might Need To Crack Down On Their JavaScript Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I wonder why did they have a poor implementation of JavaScript in the first place...
    I wonder why they considered implementing Javascript in the first place. It's popularity is due to necessity and immense practicality, but not because it's good. I've coded in C, PHP, Python, BASH, BASIC, various application-specific languages, and other "languages" like HTML or MySQL. And yet, Javascript is the only one where I had this weird uncomfortable feeling, as though I was somehow inadvertently killing kittens while writing in it. The quirks about the way it works makes sense, in the same way someone could say "I like turtles, turtles are reptiles, therefore, I like snakes" - there is logic there, it just isn't agreeable to me.

I know, my anecdotes bear no weight, but I know I'm not the only one who thinks JS is a crappy language, so for them to consider using it in the first place just really doesn't make sense to me.

</rant>
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 04 August 2018, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

We already have that. Use Gnome 2 and X11. People who use Mutter, Gnome3 and Wayland do *not* want reliable by design.

You can't have both. Either use "correct" or use "wrong".
      Your post implies that Wayland's design is fundamentally unsound. Would you care to elaborate?

Comment

It would be nice of the gnome-extension-tool generated ES6 classes.
        When coding in JavaScript use jslint or eslint.
        You can also use Flow by Facebook to type hint it, or transpile TypeScript into JavaScript.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

The questuion is, why is even done in the first place? Like seriously, why they wouldn't let window-manager to handle all of... ehm... window managing... things like Cinnamon (with Muffin) or Pantheon (with gala) does? Both are forks of mutter 3.x, and both prove it is possible (and even better).
          Yeah. Neither Windows or macOS handle window managing and a shell in the same process.

Originally posted by leipero View Post
          I guess because no one would use Shell then, for example, I would use flashback session if mutter handles all of the window managing things (alt-tab, overview, virtual spaces etc.), it already does handle animations..., Gnome-Flashback on mutter (instead of metacity) would be much faster than Gnome-Shell and very functional, there is no justification for not doing so in my opinion.
          If that is the case, then that means they know their shell sucks, but I guess this is part of their plan...

Comment

We already have that. Use Gnome 2 and X11. People who use Mutter, Gnome3 and Wayland do *not* want reliable by design.

You can, you just don't have to be gnome.
            https://arcan-fe.com/2017/12/24/crash-resilient-wayland-compositing/
            Not that I'd expect mutter to follow suit because hey, I've read their code. It's a tenth of the effort rewriting gnome shell as an Arcan WM - what are the odds of that happening?. That said, Use [whatever] and X11 is still a better choice because we're well passed the point that it's easier to fix X than it is to fix "Wayland".

Comment

The problem with GNOME 2 is that it lacks many modern features (such as HiDPI support, very subtle/minimal animations and flat theme by default). Also, is there any current distro shipping GNOME 2? (not sure whether to call RHEL 6 "current")
              Last edited by tildearrow; 31 July 2018, 03:14 PM. Reason: elaborate on "animations"

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I know, my anecdotes bear no weight, but I know I'm not the only one who thinks JS is a crappy language, so for them to consider using it in the first place just really doesn't make sense to me. Why didn't they use something like WebAssembly?
                Or C/C++/Rust/<insert compiled language here>?

Comment

Or C/C++/Rust/<insert language compiled to WebAssembly here>?

Comment

Plasma with no extensions and no animations is nice.

Why build a DE in such a way in the first place that you know the users will need extensions to do the basic tasks of a desktop? If they are basic tasks, they shouldn't require extensions.

I like Gnome, but this decision making is foolish.

Comment

I'm seriously thinking someone should try and make a desktop shell with Erlang (or your preferred BEAM language, pick from Ruby/Python/Lisp/Clojure/PureScript/Ocaml-like flavors): it was built for message passing and managing processes. And of course built for managing process failures without taking down the whole system.

But of course the cool kids don't like Erlang ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MvKLOecT1I

Comment

Working...
                      X