GNOME's Nautilus 3.30 File Manager Delivering Some Pleasant Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Nautilus 3.30 File Manager Delivering Some Pleasant Improvements

Phoronix: GNOME's Nautilus 3.30 File Manager Delivering Some Pleasant Improvements

Feature development on GNOME 3.30 is nearing the end ahead of the stable desktop environment update premiering in September. Nautilus developer Carlos Soriano has provided a look at some of the improvements coming to GNOME's file manager for the 3.30 milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about missing desktop icons? Still no production quality add-on available?

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
      Ubuntu devs are working in solution for that, but I doubt it will be ready for gnome/nautilus 3.30

Comment

Ugliest interface of all time. Damn that's a lot of white space.... I mean seriously, have these guys ever consulted UI professionals? They must consider themselves professionals, and don't give god damn about anybody else. The shear amount of white space, the number of times GTK broke things, theme breakages and more are proof they don't give a fuck. And oh my god that CSD style is retarded! Did they put a file search in the title bar? WTF? I'm not totally against CSD, except for the fact that it makes uniformity and standardized look and feel very hard and more likely even impossible.
        Last edited by duby229; 28 July 2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

duby229 What are you talking about? Nautilus has very little white space compared to other file managers because it doesn't waste space for server side decorations.
          The spacing in the sidebar isn't super dense but it's not a lot of white space either. Some people really seem to hate Gnome out of principle and don't even look at the screenshots.

Comment

the worst file manager gets even worse... next release they will be removing support for all icons or something like that

Comment

Great to see these constant improvements to a great file manager. Clean interface, easy to use, plug ins if needed, noob friendly. Happy to see them drop icon on desktop support to make it more secure and less complex. We'll get icon on desktop back in a proper way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                Happy to see them drop icon on desktop support to make it more secure and less complex.
                If you call for security, then Nautilus should be dropped entirely.

We'll get icon on desktop back in a proper way.
                There is no such thing as "proper way" in Gnome! Looking back the past ~20 years of Gnome, then all I can assure you that there is no "proper way" even if they claim so. They keep on re-implementing or re-engineering the things over and over again because the last "proper way" resulted in becoming a "failure" otherwise there wouldn't be a re-write in a yet much "proper way". What you can expect is this: ping pong engineering. They code, they drop, they code, they drop - where they keep orbiting in a circle where they code something, then drop it, only to re-implement the old stuff back and forth.
                Last edited by Candy; 28 July 2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

We'll get icon on desktop back in a proper way.
                  Maybe in next twenty years or you can have them right now in human friendly desktop environments. This gnome nightmare is the main culprit Linux didn't take off on desktops yet. Ubuntu started to gain momentum and then they f*cked up by dropping Unity. What people need is stable DE (by stable I mean it's not being reworked all the time). Leave the damn thing as it is and just keep fixing bugs. Use Qt4/5 or whatever, but stay with it for next ten years. Fix security bugs and that's all. This is how DE's core should be made.
                  Last edited by Guest; 28 July 2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
                    Still complaining about desktop icons? I though GNOME devs put it clear - There is no and won't be desktop icons support in Nautilus.

If you want desktop icons now and don't want to wait for extensions to become usable, I can recommend using Nemo and adding nemo-desktop command to autostart. It integrates with GNOME desktop (no problems with moving icons from desktop to Nautilus window and vice versa) and it's using hardly noticeable resources (for me in time of writing this comment - 0% CPU and 10,5 MB RAM). Nemo should be in repositories of popular Linux distros. You don't have to install whole Cinnamon to use it, on Fedora I had to download 15MB of dependencies.

Well I don't know how it's working on Wayland (I'm using Xorg, because majority of my apps are X only), but should be working too. Nautilus-desktop was using Xwayland too before GNOME devs removed it.

Comment

Working...
                    X