Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by makam View Post
    I am interested...
    What are some good reasons to use this other than Windows XP era nostalgia?
    Great customization on low-end hardware (or high-end hardware - Trinity is far more customizable than any other DE out there).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Great customization on low-end hardware (or high-end hardware - Trinity is far more customizable than any other DE out there).
      customization is not that important really. functionality and responsivness is.

Comment

Trinity is working on Qt4 support - an internal build is already working (not great, but it sort-of works). After that, migration to Qt5 (or Qt10, by the time the Qt4 port is done) will be a lot easier.
        Fixed that for you.

Comment

If only they would upgrade the Ubuntu base to 18.04...

Comment

Qt3? They should switch to GTK+4 for proper hardware accelerated rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post

customization is not that important really. functionality and responsivness is.
              Agreed, productivity is important, customization is nice.

Just a personal account. I started using Trinity as the primary desktop on my daily driver Thinkpad when KDE 5 came out. As was mentioned in a prior post, KDE has a tendency to 'Reset' at new major releases - where the function of KDE 5 at release seems less than that of KDE 4 before it was discontinued. Trinity (or TDE for short), as a direct fork, picks up where KDE 3 left off. So, as I was told: 'All your icons are right where you left them'. This has some benefits. For some users (think Mom here) continuity of environment is important. That is, they get used to working with something and it takes time to train them to use something else (and until they get used to the new system, they are unhappy and I hear about it). But what really sold me were the functions available in TDE that were missing in KDE 5. The Konqueror file manager for example; in TDE it has functions that have only recently been introduced as 'New' in KDE 5's Dolphin. TDE is fairly light and responsive, good for older hardware (and on the new hardware I use it on, it's very quick) and has been more stable than KDE 5 (which doesn't seem like my new hardware actually). It is true that TDE lacks the modern features of QT5, and there are times this causes problems (power saving and volume control keys come to mind, it's not perfect). But for daily productivity it suits my needs well – indeed, better than KDE 5.

Comment

Originally posted by menneskelighet View Post
                Can you imagine if the best and brightest minds of the open source community came together around 2-3 DE projects instead of spreading themselves so thin that they lack manpower and resources?
                KDE and Gnome are already "rewritten from scratch" with every new major version, with less features and more bloat. Why? I can think of some reasons why the whole framework needs to be reimplemented. Developer incompetence comes to mind first. The developers might also feel more professional if the build time grew and they needed higher performance workstations for developing the DE.

I remember when KDE 4.0 came. They promised a totally rearchitected system with all the bells and whistles. Too bad it took at least till 4.5 before it was usable in daily life and on par with 3.5.10, feature wise. Hugely unstable, bloated piece of turd. Also they couldn't decide if the user wanted one or two web render engines. The build system apparently became less monolithic, but due to slow compilation of C++ & MOC overall, the workflow didn't improve that much from a Qt/KDE developer point of view. I don't remember any productivity improvements in KDE 4. The only thing I can remember is the personality cult around Plasma and Aaron Seigo. Too bad they couldn't attract enough members to build a mile high statue for him so he got tired.

Comment

Trinity is working on Qt4 support - an internal build is already working (not great, but it sort-of works). After that, migration to Qt5 (or Qt6, by the time the Qt4 port is done) will be a lot easier.
                  Really? In their FAQ there is information about no plans to migrate from TQt3 (Qt3 fork) to Qt4 or Qt5. If you're right, that's really good news. KDE3 on recent Qt would be great desktop, like MATE.

Comment

It's seems performance issue and [lack of] manpower keeps to version 3.
                    From

I remember it was mainly about performance. I actually have a repo on GitHub which has a version of Kicker that runs on Qt4/KDE4. I also remember Tim had Trinity mostly working against Qt4 but he saw a lot of performance issues.
                    Having a Trinity-like DE on Qt5 could probably mostly be achieved by porting just Kicker and KDesktop to Qt5/KDE5 and having a session with those instead of Plasma. That wouldn't make sense if performance would suffer significantly though.
                    There was also the recent announcement about Qt Lite. It's supposed to run on systems with as little as 16 MB of memory and doesn't require OpenGL: http://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/08/18/in...hing-any-size/
                    Maybe these developments are out of scope for the Trinity project already, but it would be interesting to hear if anybody had compared them with Qt3/TQt.
                    Best regards, Julius
                    16.7. Are there plans to migrate TDE to Qt4 or Qt5?
                    There are no such plans. Porting Trinity to Qt4 is 5 to 10 years of solid work with current project manpower. Indeed, the KDE4 team of developers needed several years to port KDE and they have many more developers.

A fundamental project goal for maintaining Trinity is to keep alive the spirit and functionality of the original KDE3 concepts. Porting to Qt4 does not support that goal. Qt4 functionality is different from Qt3 (now TQt). Those differences conflict with how users want Trinity to function. The Qt4 environment is too different in focus and functionality to be used as the base toolkit of Trinity.

The idea of integrating certain portions of the Qt4 code has not been abandoned. One of the original reasons for the TQt interface layer was to keep open the possibility of adapting portions of Trinity to Qt4. That has already been done. For example, with the qt4-tqt-theme-engine package for Trinity.

More information about the philosophical and design differences between Trinity and KDE4 are available in Q:2.10 of the FAQ introduction.
                    If they would propose to achieve the purpose of porting TDE to qt4,5 or 6 in the future, probably they should rewrite portions of it (or completely) in a manner not to be aware of Qt versioning. To keep simplicity of original KDE3 but also but at the same time to allow [future] steps for modernisation like high pixel density screen o hardware acceleration.

LxQt already starting to borrow various libraries from KDE Frameworks 5.

Last edited by onicsis; 28 July 2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post

customization is not that important really.
                      Are you from the GNOME camp? 'Cause outside of the GNOME camp, people always care a great deal about customization. But nonetheless, Trinity is extremely responsive and is full of features.

Comment

Working...
                      X