What Build System Should Qt 6 Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Never heard of shake before. Which, given I'm distro maintainer, means I'm either extremely incompetent, or Qt shouldn't bother with it.

Comment

If anything, Java got build system and dependency management right. Maven (and gradle as runner up) is a wonderful tool. Just a set of well defined xml files and plugins, well defined and documented.

I guess for C++ you'd have to combine CMake with Conan except not make it a godawful syntax.

Comment

What about Tup?

Comment

Qbs is just much easier :-)

Some examples:

Last edited by Nth_man; 21 July 2018, 05:42 PM.

Comment

LEGOs ... because they are so simple that a child can use them! /sarcasm

Comment

It sounds like they need CMake
                You have at least 4 C++ package managers(if they desire to manage their dependencies this way) that either have CMake as the first class build-system support or is the only build-system they support.
                Note that LLVM and KDE which are considerably bigger than Qt, use CMake with great success.

Comment

Cmake is fine when using it correctly, i.e. not using legacy stuff and adding targets and using their properties. Also cross-compiling is really easy. Simply pass a toolchain file, which lists the compiler and defines the search root for libraries and includes.

The mailing list thread contains so much disinformation about Cmake - it's insane.

Comment

here's their reasoning https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_build_systems_at_QtCon_2016
                    btw i wondered how do cmake handle moc file creation for qt and it appears that they integrated qt specific features into cmake! Jeez

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                      Never heard of shake before. Which, given I'm distro maintainer, means I'm either extremely incompetent, or Qt shouldn't bother with it.
                      A complex project with a lot of [inter]dependencies such as Qt definitely should: https://shakebuild.com/why

Comment

Working...
                      X