Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 3.13 Released With The MoltenVK macOS Support, Performance Data In The Registry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine 3.13 Released With The MoltenVK macOS Support, Performance Data In The Registry

    Phoronix: Wine 3.13 Released With The MoltenVK macOS Support, Performance Data In The Registry

    Wine 3.13 was released today as just another bi-weekly development release towards Wine 4.0, but this time around it's a pretty darn exciting update!..

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-3.13-Released

  • #2
    This wine version detect bios information, in my case detect mainboard chipset Z370

    The Incredibles Adventures of Van Helsing DX9

    Last test with Pentium G3258 @ 4.1ghz + Artic Cooling Alpine 11 Plus



    With Core i3 8350K Tri-Core @ 5.0ghz + CoolerMaster Hyper T4



    And now with DXVK using Core i3 8350K Tri-Core @ 5.0ghz + CoolerMaster Hyper T4



    Last edited by pinguinpc; 07-20-2018, 01:39 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      So, on macOS, Windows DirectX games, have to be translated from DirectX ->- Vulkan ->- MoltenVK ->- Metal ->- Apple GPU drivers?
      It sounds like games will be much slower than on Linux where they just need to be translated from DirecteX ->- Vulkan ->- Mesa3D GPU drivers.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post
        So, on macOS, Windows DirectX games, have to be translated from DirectX ->- Vulkan ->- MoltenVK ->- Metal ->- Apple GPU drivers?
        It sounds like games will be much slower than on Linux where they just need to be translated from DirecteX ->- Vulkan ->- Mesa3D GPU drivers.
        The translators are actually pretty low cost, if implemented correctly. In some cases the translators are faster than the original implementations. Valve's experience when putting together an OpenGL translator for their weird D3D9/10/11-based API (which was mostly producing direct calls to D3D, AFAIK) was that the games ran faster on OpenGL drivers through their translator than they did directly on D3D. The company which made MoltenVK also makes MoltenGL, which tends to get better performance than Apple's own OpenGL stack by running an OpenGL translator on Apple's Metal drivers.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post
          So, on macOS, Windows DirectX games, have to be translated from DirectX ->- Vulkan ->- MoltenVK ->- Metal ->- Apple GPU drivers?
          It sounds like games will be much slower than on Linux where they just need to be translated from DirecteX ->- Vulkan ->- Mesa3D GPU drivers.
          I think Molten is the Vulkan implementation so its rather DirectX ->- Vulkan (MoltkenVK) -->- Metal ->- Apple GPU drivers

          Comment


          • #6
            As shown in a few tests around the web, the performance penalty of MoltenVK is in the low single digit percentages. Depending on further development and optimization on either MoltenVK or Metal, it might actually achieve being virtually on par with native Vulkan. The rest of the pipeline in Wine is the same as on Linux so I don’t expect Linux and macOS to offer significantly different performance when running Direct3D applications on Wine.

            Comment


            • #7
              I wonder, why is wine-mono at 4.7.3, whilst the latest mono is 5.12.0. And more importantly: given "wine-mono" is just a Windows installer of mono — what does that "support" even mean? Do newer mono versions use unimplemented Windows functions?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                I wonder, why is wine-mono at 4.7.3, whilst the latest mono is 5.12.0. And more importantly: given "wine-mono" is just a Windows installer of mono — what does that "support" even mean? Do newer mono versions use unimplemented Windows functions?
                ...and does anyone know whether they have any plans to use FNA? For most PlayOnLinux prefixes I've built, XNA 4.0 has been the main component that has required me to use winetricks. (And, for those that don't, XAudio was another common culprit... and flibitijibibo is just finishing up a clone of that named FAudio.)
                Last edited by ssokolow; 07-20-2018, 09:54 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by microcode View Post
                  The company which made MoltenVK also makes MoltenGL, which tends to get better performance than Apple's own OpenGL stack by running an OpenGL translator on Apple's Metal drivers.
                  To be fair, Apple's OpenGL stack isn't exactly that good to begin with.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Proven here:
                    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...c-vulkan&num=1
                    Chances are Vulkan/Wine to be even faster than native Opengl on Macos.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X