Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft's PowerShell Now Available On Ubuntu In Snap Form

Phoronix: Microsoft's PowerShell Now Available On Ubuntu In Snap Form

Canonical and Microsoft have just announced that PowerShell Core is now available for Ubuntu users in Snap format...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

okay... I'm not a powershell expert, but what are you going to do with it on Linux exactly? I know there are a bunch of commands for managing windows services, but for linux? Perhaps it's only relevant in the use case of managing headless windows servers remotely from Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by sheldonl View Post
      okay... I'm not a powershell expert, but what are you going to do with it on Linux exactly? I know there are a bunch of commands for managing windows services, but for linux? Perhaps it's only relevant in the use case of managing headless windows servers remotely from Linux?
      Yeah, probably mostly that. If I were managing WIndows systems I would be happy I didn't need to boot into Windows to do it. And maybe someone who is WIndows-first would be able to manage Linux systems with it too? Dunno, but imo it can only be a good thing

Comment

Who would possibly want the M$ PowerShell on Ubuntu (and derivatives) if we have our own, seasoned and established shell?
        I don't like Microsoft getting closer incrementally towards the open source world. First the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), them bying Github, they also are a Platinum Member of the Linux Foundation and now they start to make their apps etc. "available" for Ubuntu.
        I mean – they are the competitors/opposition of the FOSS world and they certainly are following their embrace, extend, extinguish strategy here as well as they did so many times before. What an ugly company.

Comment

It is great that MS is providing stuff for Linux.
          Personally i've never really got the point with Powershell.
          If you want object oriented scripting Python is a pretty nice solution. DBus works fine for interactions between processes, and Linux doesn't really have COM interop or ASP. I guess if they add DBus compatibility and gnome settings compatibility there might be a use.

Comment

Python is not suited as a CLI. If you want a OOP CLI there is really no alternative. As good as bash is, you have to resort to scarping text with bash. It’s a decefit with ALL text based shells, not just bash.
            This issue has been known for a long time. It’s mentioned in the Unix Hater’s Handbook, MS didn’t just reinvent the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatiamus View Post
              Who would possibly want the M$ PowerShell on Ubuntu (and derivatives) if we have our own, seasoned and established shell?
              I don't like Microsoft getting closer incrementally towards the open source world. First the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), them bying Github, they also are a Platinum Member of the Linux Foundation and now they start to make their apps etc. "available" for Ubuntu.
              I mean – they are the competitors/opposition of the FOSS world and they certainly are following their embrace, extend, extinguish strategy here as well as they did so many times before. What an ugly company.
              As long as it's being open source it's completely transparent, then it's up to the user if the potential use cases are worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                Python is not suited as a CLI.
                Why is that?

Have you tried http://xon.sh and/or https://github.com/Ceasar/twosheds ?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                  Python is not suited as a CLI. If you want a OOP CLI there is really no alternative. As good as bash is, you have to resort to scarping text with bash. It’s a decefit with ALL text based shells, not just bash.
                  This issue has been known for a long time. It’s mentioned in the Unix Hater’s Handbook, MS didn’t just reinvent the wheel.
                  I have done a lot of development on Windows. I only ever needed Powershell when i was forced to use it, because some function wasnt available in cmd or vbscript. And i NEVER thought it was smart nor handy to have objects in the CLI. OOP makes sence for scripting in python, vbscript etc. Not in the command line in my opinion.
                  Also Python can be used as a CLI..
                  Last edited by pracedru; 20 July 2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatiamus View Post
                    Maybe M$ just knows that FOSS is better and will eventually win the battle. They are preparing for the future defeat of proprietary software by getting involved in open source software.

Comment

Working...
                    X