Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell & Mutter Updated Ahead Of GNOME 3.29.4

Phoronix: GNOME Shell & Mutter Updated Ahead Of GNOME 3.29.4

GNOME 3.29.4 is coming out this week as the latest development release building up to GNOME 3.30 this September. GNOME Shell and Mutter have put out their latest releases for this development milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it update at more than 60Hz yet? It's one of the main reasons why I'm still using Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
      Does it update at more than 60Hz yet? It's one of the main reasons why I'm still using Unity.
      Been lurking some bug reports and it seems they are working on it. Not sure it will be fixed for 3.30 though. In the meantime, there are two potential workarounds:
      - Set environmental variable 'export CLUTTER_DEFAULT_FPS=120' and change 120 to whatever fps you prefer. Note that xwayland apps will still be running at 60fps but at least the desktop and native Wayland apps will run at your preffered fps.
      - Ignore Wayland and log into an X11 session, which doesn't have the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
        I like Wayland and all, but ... really? You're still using Unity because Gnome-on-Wayland is pinned to 60Hz? That sounds pretty unlikely to me.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

I like Wayland and all, but ... really? You're still using Unity because Gnome-on-Wayland is pinned to 60Hz? That sounds pretty unlikely to me.
          if the man need to play games with a refresh monitor ate 120hz or more then he need more than 60hz.Gnome already lags a lot with a monitor 60hz I can't image how it is with a 120 or 144 hz monitor

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

I haven't touched Unity in a while, but IIRC I had to do some hacking there as well to make it run >60hz, so not much different from GNOME on Wayland really.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

if the man need to play games with a refresh monitor ate 120hz or more then he need more than 60hz.Gnome already lags a lot with a monitor 60hz I can't image how it is with a 120 or 144 hz monitor
              X11 sessions with GNOME are perfectly smooth for me at high refresh rates with AMD graphics, even when I'm mining on my GPU's. It's only GNOME on Wayland having issues. I've heard some NVIDIA-users complain about low performance on GNOME though.

Comment

Interesting.. I thought even in Ubuntu 18.04 (which I'm currently running), window movement under GNOME on X11 is still 60Hz. OpenGL apps/games etc can run >60, seemingly independent of the window movement. Unity is very smooth in comparison. Linux 4.16, Mesa 18.2 via Padoka PPA on a Vega 56 and 144Hz monitor. It's a big enough issue to not want to use GNOME.

Comment

Did they fix the performance issues? If not, Plasma is still the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

X11 sessions with GNOME are perfectly smooth for me at high refresh rates with AMD graphics, even when I'm mining on my GPU's. It's only GNOME on Wayland having issues. I've heard some NVIDIA-users complain about low performance on GNOME though.
                    Not for me... I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 which uses Gnome 3.28.2 and running > 60 Hz results in stutter, since the window movement doesn't appear to be synced to the monitor's refresh rate. Never used Wayland before, I'm on X11.

I tested on a Radeon WX7100, 1080 Ti, same issue across all. I tried KDE and that was super smooth in comparison.

Interesting.. I thought even in Ubuntu 18.04 (which I'm currently running), window movement under GNOME on X11 is still 60Hz. OpenGL apps/games etc can run >60, seemingly independent of the window movement. Unity is very smooth in comparison. Linux 4.16, Mesa 18.2 via Padoka PPA on a Vega 56 and 144Hz monitor. It's a big enough issue to not want to use GNOME.
                    Yeah, same here.

Comment

Working...
                    X