Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REAPER 5.93 Brings New Linux-Native Builds

Phoronix: REAPER 5.93 Brings New Linux-Native Builds

Since 2016 we have been looking forward to the REAPER digital audio workstation software for Linux while with this week's v5.93 release, the experimental Linux-native builds are now officially available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is amazing and I hope this can make hardware manufacturers interested in making drivers/mixer software for Linux and that plugin developers do the same. How incredible it would be to have a bare bone Linux installation with only Reaper, plugins and software controller for the audio hardware and nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix38 View Post
      This is amazing and I hope this can make hardware manufacturers interested in making drivers/mixer software for Linux and that plugin developers do the same. How incredible it would be to have a bare bone Linux installation with only Reaper, plugins and software controller for the audio hardware and nothing else.
      Probably not gonna happen. Look how much flak Nvidia gets for their binary drivers blob, and with the unstable in-kernel interface on top of it (making it more maintenance for most smaller hardware devs).

Comment

Wow.
        I've used Reaper before via WINE in linux and functionality was great. I didn't dig very deep and look at latency issues or anything like that.
        I really liked the look at feel of Reaper though. IF I ever go back to a DAW I will take a close look.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
          Wow.
          I've used Reaper before via WINE in linux and functionality was great. I didn't dig very deep and look at latency issues or anything like that.
          I really liked the look at feel of Reaper though. IF I ever go back to a DAW I will take a close look.
          I've dug deep into it. assuming ur using Fifo/RT threads for time_critical threads, you can get good performance /low latency with very few xruns... I also used the tool for jacks to measure roundtrip latencies.... (some of the reaper projects were heavily loaded with vsts like kontact and other native instruments plugins).

I also had experimented with winepulse/pulseaudio backend... by setting up PA differently, than default I was able to get roundtrip latencies below 10ms (using a crappy intelhda driver, not even using my good audio interface)...

I guess the only crappy thing about a native linux port of reaper is not having all of the awesome windows vsts... still cool though.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
            Probably not gonna happen. Look how much flak Nvidia gets for their binary drivers blob, and with the unstable in-kernel interface on top of it (making it more maintenance for most smaller hardware devs).
            You're assuming their implementation would be like NVIDIA's.

Comment

Originally posted by RelaxTrolls View Post

I've dug deep into it. assuming ur using Fifo/RT threads for time_critical threads, you can get good performance /low latency with very few xruns... I also used the tool for jacks to measure roundtrip latencies.... (some of the reaper projects were heavily loaded with vsts like kontact and other native instruments plugins).

I also had experimented with winepulse/pulseaudio backend... by setting up PA differently, than default I was able to get roundtrip latencies below 10ms (using a crappy intelhda driver, not even using my good audio interface)...

I guess the only crappy thing about a native linux port of reaper is not having all of the awesome windows vsts... still cool though.
              That is what I was primarily using REAPER for was VST hosting. As I recall they worked fine under WINE. But this was a while back; might be mistaken.

I kind of dropped VSTs when I discovered ZynaddsubFX.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                Maybe even better example would be what happened with 4Front Technologies and OSS. 4Front made great although feature lacking (midi support) proprietary drivers with the blessing of the hardware manufacturers, like all the prosumer M-Audio pci cards. Since the OSS4 sources were made free way back in 2007, I really hoped they could eventually become the ASIO drivers of linux. Unfortunately the damage was done and the pitchfork and torches folks won. The banishment to the cornfields was already too far underway. Now I can't even install OSS4 from latest sources on Xubuntu 18.04, even though the sources were patched for the 4.15 kernel. Arch seems to have similar problems with OSS4 and latest kernels. The purge is almost complete from all linux distros.

As a DAW hobbyist It's great to see Reaper officially coming to linux and hopefully linux audio will someday get as much attention as the graphics/video side. Although even suggesting doing something with the linux audio system is likely to be met with open hostility (KLANG).

Comment

Hey don't forget to mention that other high quality commercial products are available on Linux: bitwig studio and the u-he synths!

Bitwig Studio is a digital audio workstation (DAW) and music production software. Design sounds. Build instruments. Make music. Download today.

https://u-he.com/ - https://www.reddit.com/r/UheOnLinux/

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                    You're assuming their implementation would be like NVIDIA's.
                    Are their drivers open source on Windows? No. So my assumption is based on statistical likelihood. So, why would you assume they'd want to make them open source on Linux and reveal their whatever secrets they keep on Windows?

Originally posted by [TV] View Post
                    Unfortunately the damage was done and the pitchfork and torches folks won.
                    Yeah, pretty much why Linux will always fail on the desktop or for stuff like this (pro hardware usage): because of retarded zealots.

It's too hard for them to understand the simple fact that some people don't mind it and that nobody forces them to use closed-source drivers, if they don't like it. Those people also never code a thing in their life, don't contribute to an open source driver, and then bitch and demand others to open source the drivers.

I can totally understand them saying how closed source drivers are bad and all, and I agree with their opinion. But sometimes it's the only choice, going on zealot rampage is just retarded.

Comment

Working...
                    X