GNOME's Nautilus Port To GTK4 Making Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Candy View Post
    Looking at that picture and I want to cry. What have they done to Nautilus? That picture shows an big empty window with some icons crammed inside it. The entire illustration looks as if some coder had his first tries opening a gtk window and have some icons shown inside it. No appealing product I would die using.
    It's the "icon view" of the file manager, what's wrong with that, every file manager since the stone age had that mode.

You can change it to "detail view" or whatever and it will list stuff in a more useful way.

Comment

Do you remember when Nautilus implemented search-as-you-type? That was a great release!

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
        Looking at that picture and I want to cry. What have they done to Nautilus? That picture shows an big empty window with some icons crammed inside it. The entire illustration looks as if some coder had his first tries opening a gtk window and have some icons shown inside it. No appealing product I would die using.
        What exactly do you expect to see, when you open a folder without much in it? The bit that you're complaining about – the content pane – looks exactly like the current Nautilus version, and like almost very other version going back a few years... indeed, I'd go so far as to say it looks a lot like many of the other file managers out there, like Thunar or Dolphin...

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Um ... wot? Sound like some non-coder make poor joke use worser English skill not know joke on him.

Candy have gooder example from own github repo? Or armchair 'expert' methinks?
          Are you seriously criticizing other people's command of the English language?

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Are you seriously criticizing other people's command of the English language?
            The difference is that dkasak's response has a regularity and consistency to it characteristic of people who know the grammar but intentionally try to write comprehensibly but badly. (eg. using incorrect verb tenses, dropping articles and/or conjunctions, constructing invalid but predictable forms like "worser", etc.)

Candy's original post is disjointed enough that I had to stop and think hard to translate it into grammatically proper English and I'm still not 100% certain I have the correct interpretation.

TL;DR: dkasak was intentionally writing badly to mock Candy.

Comment

So next apt-get upgrade, I can expect Nautilus not to run. It will just say failed to load libGTK+4.so.

All in the name of progress

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                So next apt-get upgrade, I can expect Nautilus not to run. It will just say failed to load libGTK+4.so.

Only if you use a crappy distro with a broken package manager...

Comment

I'm sure glad that they decided to focus energies into GTK4 instead of delivering a functional solid, swift and stable product! /s

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    I'm sure glad that they decided to focus energies into GTK4 instead of delivering a functional solid, swift and stable product! /s
                    They're also working on improvements and changes for Nautilus 3.30:
                    Hey! The post that you wont read is here :phttps://medium.com/@alex285/gnome-3-30-preview-the-ux-changes-on-files-app-so-far-60dd97dd465eMy Twitter!https://t...

So they also put a lot of energy into the 3.x version.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Yeah. Because distros will obviously build a package of it and push it to users without even shipping GTK+4.

Comment

Working...
                      X