More Mutter Performance Tuning Work Landing For GNOME 3.30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    So much saying that wayland would magically fix everything and be more easy to work with
    No-one said that. Grow up.
    but so far it seems like all the contrary
    It can't be contrary to something that no-one ever said.
    and it has created the same amount of fragmentation, every project writing their own compositor code, some are more optimized,
    So what? In wayland, the window manager *is* the compositor. That's the design. Under X, we have MORE window managers. People who complain about fragmentation don't understand what open-source is about at all.
    some support nvida, others not...
    Not true at all. Wayland compositors work fine on nvidia hardware, when running in software mode. It's nvidia hardware that doesn't support running wayland in opengl mode ... not the other way around. Who's fault is that?
    Around 10 years of wayland development and it still hasnt catch up.
    I think the term you're after is "caught up", but whatever. Caught up to *what* exactly? The point wasn't to re-implement X. It's to build something better. It's succeeded, in ways that you appear not to be aware of, because you're a moron.

I run Enlightenment on wayland all the time. It's well and truly "caught up" ( or catch up, in your terms ). It's faster. It's more secure. Lower memory footprint. Does everything I used to do. Now, I realise that you're just a sad little troll with no girlfriend to keep you occupied. But since every single thing you said was bullshit ... yeah ... I couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
      No-one said that. Grow up.

It can't be contrary to something that no-one ever said.

So what? In wayland, the window manager *is* the compositor. That's the design. Under X, we have MORE window managers. People who complain about fragmentation don't understand what open-source is about at all.

Not true at all. Wayland compositors work fine on nvidia hardware, when running in software mode. It's nvidia hardware that doesn't support running wayland in opengl mode ... not the other way around. Who's fault is that?

I think the term you're after is "caught up", but whatever. Caught up to *what* exactly? The point wasn't to re-implement X. It's to build something better. It's succeeded, in ways that you appear not to be aware of, because you're a moron.

I run Enlightenment on wayland all the time. It's well and truly "caught up" ( or catch up, in your terms ). It's faster. It's more secure. Lower memory footprint. Does everything I used to do. Now, I realise that you're just a sad little troll with no girlfriend to keep you occupied. But since every single thing you said was bullshit ... yeah ... I couldn't resist.
      But where's networking support? What about remote desktop and other technologies? :/

When will xwayland become mostly non-relevant?

I think Wayland support and it's related development needs to speed up...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        But where's networking support?
        X over a network has always been horrible. It's possible that in the very early days, when the X server did most of the drawing, things were different. But with modern widget toolkits that do all the drawing on the client side, it's a joke over anything but the fastest networks. The X protocol is very chatty, and a little bit of latency absolutely kills usability. When I do remote GUI apps, I use xrdp or x11vncserver. These are both much better than X-over-the-network. I believe weston and other wayland compositors ( efl from enlightenment, for example ) already have rdp support.

What about remote desktop and other technologies? :/
        Yes, I just talked about them. There's nothing stopping people writing vnc or rdp plugins for wayland. What's your use-case anyway? Do you actually have one? Did you actually do any research into solutions under wayland? My guess is ... no ... otherwise you'd already know these things.

When will xwayland become mostly non-relevant?
        It is now.

I think you need to STFU and just use X, or start hacking on wayland. Noone like whiny little bitches.

Comment

For people who are interested in the benefits of wayland and the development of the linux graphic stack, I'd like to recommend the attach article. There's still lots of work to be done, but things are going in a very nice direction.
          The latest enhancements to the DRM subsystem have made mainline Linux much more attractive, making drivers easier to write, applications portable, and a much more friendly and collaborative community.

Comment

Surprised by by article's claim about Wayland performance. Mine's performing really well with this setup:

Code:
            Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 9600 x 2160, maximum 8192 x 8192
            XWAYLAND0 connected 1920x1080+7680+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 290mm x 170mm
               1920x1080     59.96*+
            XWAYLAND1 connected 3840x2160+3840+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 600mm x 340mm
               3840x2160     59.98*+
            XWAYLAND2 connected 3840x2160+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 600mm x 340mm
               3840x2160     59.98*+
            Bonus, with X there's no way for me to run all three screens side-by-side due to the "8192 x 8192" max res. It's supposed to be a fuck-up in the i915 module (my 8th gen 620 handles 16k x 16k) but Wayland seems to ignore it and runs the setup just fine.
            Any idea what the deal with that is?

Anyway about the performance. GNOME on X uses about 40-50% of my GPU when drawing, while with Wayland I can reach 70% with the average about 50-60%. It's *way* smoother though so well worth it.

Comment

So much saying that wayland would magically fix everything and be more easy to work with but so far it seems like all the contrary and it has created the same amount of fragmentation, every project writing their own compositor code
              wayland had nothing to do with writing one compositor code
              wayland was about secure by default for example. so is it less secure than x11 or you are just spewing shit?

Comment

But where's networking support?
                in rdp
                then start sending patches
                Last edited by pal666; 14 July 2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                  Whatever you say, my native language isn't english so I lack maybe more than other non native english speakers. Thanks for the language lesson. But you see, most people that get protective over such topics is because they don't have concrete explanation to a set of given facts, so the behaviour explodes on waves of insults, starting with mild ones that threat the other side like ignorants...

In any case it seems you only use your enlightenment environment to access the terminal and do some subpar web browsing, and file management, I do more than that, so I will just wait 10 years more until wayland caught up since right now wayland is a regression... Maybe a real display server like the impressive Arcan would be better (Wayland is just a protocol with some sprinkled libraries on the side), hey at least Mir is doing the effort of shipping something usable which avoids duplication (how sarcastic can that be).
                  Last edited by TheOne; 18 July 2018, 02:52 AM.

Comment

In any case it seems you only use your enlightenment environment to access the terminal and do some subpar web browsing, and file management, I do more than that, so I will just wait 10 years more until wayland caught up ;
                    Actually I'm a developer. I have to do all the usual things senior devs do - manage remote teams, video calls, etc. Not sure about the 'subpar web browsing' thing.

) since right now wayland is a regression...
                    Regression how? You keep saying wayland needs to 'catch up', but I don't see you identifying any areas where it needs to catch up. Here's an example of how you'd do it:

X needs to "catch up" with wayland on security. I know this internet guy who reckons he's "TheOne", and he probably wouldn't know if I'd stolen his bank details when he last logged into his web banking, because X is so insecure that people can install software to capture keystrokes and screen grabs, without any notification. That kinda sucks.

You see how I did that there? That's an "example" that coincides with my statement that X needs to catch up to Wayland.

But whatever ... go and play with your Arcan toy display server and call other people ignorant in broken English. You're pretty good at that.

Comment

Working...
                    X