GTK+ 4.0 Likely Being Released In Spring Of 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    All I can say is that they have their own development needs and limitations too (as they need to maintain and evolve the library too), and since in most cases you aren't paying them at all you have even less bargaining power than on Windows.

Really, you can just use the same library at a frozen old version, why would they have to go as hard as Microsoft (that still does not really do a particulalry good job) at keeping strong stability.
    You act as if GTK peeps are the only ones who have to "suffer" with stability. They're the exception along with rest of Linux userland, not the norm. Not even the kernel itself uses their instability excuses.

So no, I'm not asking them to be like Microsoft, I'm asking them to be sane. It's not a Microsoft vs everyone else, it's a Linux userland vs everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Are you aware of the current release scheme? Release of GTK4 doesn't mean GTK3 will become deprecated anytime soon. GTK3 is a long term supported release that will be maintained for 3+ years and multiple versions of GTK can be installed in parallel

And are you aware of what I wrote about the Xfce team being slow on porting? I didn't say GTK 3 would become deprecated as soon as GTK 4 hits stable, I said that the Xfce team is slow on porting and thus they need to work on a GTK 4 port 'cause by the time they're done, GTK 3 WILL be deprecated.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        You act as if GTK peeps are the only ones who have to "suffer" with stability. They're the exception along with rest of Linux userland, not the norm. Not even the kernel itself uses their instability excuses.

So no, I'm not asking them to be like Microsoft, I'm asking them to be sane. It's not a Microsoft vs everyone else, it's a Linux userland vs everything else.
        Microsoft is also pushing devs to UWP even though UWP is far from finished and far from stable, and the push will only become stronger once they drop native 32-bit app support: http://www.osnews.com/story/30573/Sy...from_Microsoft

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          Microsoft is also pushing devs to UWP even though UWP is far from finished and far from stable, and the push will only become stronger once they drop native 32-bit app support: http://www.osnews.com/story/30573/Sy...from_Microsoft
          I don't see what has that to do with anything? They want a completely different OS. I never said GTK folks have to make GTK stable identically between OSes, just that it's stable on one OS it runs on (i.e. Linux on Linux, BSD on BSD or whatever else). Being compatible between Linux and Windows is completely useless as even if it were, an app wouldn't run between them without a compatibility layer (like Wine) which renders the whole point moot.

Also Win32 means the entire ecosystem and APIs not just "32-bit app" but also x64 so yeah looks like an entirely different OS to me. Such article writers are always sensationalist fashionistas on purpose for click baits and usually morons (no offense but I can't stand that kind of thing).

AFAIK UWP apps are managed so this is even more hilarious. Downgrade performance some more please.
          Last edited by Weasel; 13 July 2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

And are you aware of what I wrote about the Xfce team being slow on porting? I didn't say GTK 3 would become deprecated as soon as GTK 4 hits stable, I said that the Xfce team is slow on porting and thus they need to work on a GTK 4 port 'cause by the time they're done, GTK 3 WILL be deprecated.
            You don't know that. GTK2 to GTK3 transition was far bigger than GTK3 to GTK4.

Comment

You don't know that. GTK2 to GTK3 transition was far bigger than GTK3 to GTK4.
              Depends on what they're going to do. If they're going to do a proper port from 3 to 4, then they'll utilize GSK and other new stuff, and then it'll take a lot more time then a quick port from 3 to 4.

Comment

Depends on what they're going to do. If they're going to do a proper port from 3 to 4, then they'll utilize GSK and other new stuff, and then it'll take a lot more time then a quick port from 3 to 4.
                GSK may not necessary for Xfce at all. It is a replacement for Clutter which Xfce never used either. It is perfectly viable to do a proper port without it.

Comment

GSK may not necessary for Xfce at all. It is a replacement for Clutter which Xfce never used either. It is perfectly viable to do a proper port without it.
                  But they could make use of it. ALSO, I said "AND OTHER NEW STUFF".

Comment

Working...
                  X