Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ 4.0 Likely Being Released In Spring Of 2019

Phoronix: GTK+ 4.0 Likely Being Released In Spring Of 2019

While the GTK+ 4.0 tool-kit was previously talked about for release by the end of 2018, that's now looking more like spring of 2019 when this next major version will be released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This means the XFCE's next task will be to port the brand-newly-gtk3-ported XFCE to gtk4. yay.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickup View Post
      This means the XFCE's next task will be to port the brand-newly-gtk3-ported XFCE to gtk4. yay.
      Why would it mean that?

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post

Why would it mean that?
        Don't you notice the Wayland kids whine and complain if a piece of software isn't using the very latest toolkit?

I think it is terrible that Gtk3 is still yet to officially support Microsoft's C++ compiler. And they are now moving straight onto 4? There are basically holes everywhere for cross platform / commercial deployment. I think I will stick with Gtk2 for another... 20 years

Comment

Continuous churn of API/ABI guarantees that GNU/Linux desktop market share will always be below < 2%. It is great for bash, make, gcc and other command line tools, but the average Joe is not going to ever use it.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Don't you notice the Wayland kids whine and complain if a piece of software isn't using the very latest toolkit?

I think it is terrible that Gtk3 is still yet to officially support Microsoft's C++ compiler. And they are now moving straight onto 4? There are basically holes everywhere for cross platform / commercial deployment. I think I will stick with Gtk2 for another... 20 years
            Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
            Continuous churn of API/ABI guarantees that GNU/Linux desktop market share will always be below < 2%. It is great for bash, make, gcc and other command line tools, but the average Joe is not going to ever use it.
            You guys get it. I've been called a troll or a "Microsoft Shill" by fanboys or "Wayland kids" for stating these exact things (with arguments and facts to back it up on top of it) even though I'd really love to see them happen on Linux (you know, the exact opposite of what a shill for a competing product wants).

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

No. I have no idea what a "Wayland kid" is.

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post

Why would it mean that?
                Eh, you know that GTK3 won't be supported forever and that it takes the Xfce Team a long time to port from one GTK version to another, right? So in order to not be stuck with a deprecated toolkit in the future, they should already prepare for GTK4.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Eh, you know that GTK3 won't be supported forever and that it takes the Xfce Team a long time to port from one GTK version to another, right? So in order to not be stuck with a deprecated toolkit in the future, they should already prepare for GTK4.
                  Are you aware of the current release scheme? Release of GTK4 doesn't mean GTK3 will become deprecated anytime soon. GTK3 is a long term supported release that will be maintained for 3+ years and multiple versions of GTK can be installed in parallel

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    I'd really love to see them happen on Linux (you know, the exact opposite of what a shill for a competing product wants).
                    This is a feeble attempt to look believable, after you basically called most library developers many names because you can't understand basic stuff like that they are not your slaves bound to make your software work forever no matter the cost.

Everyone has already said to you that Linux desktop approach to the issue is sandboxing applications to be run with the same libraries they were developed and shipped with, and that this is vastly superior to what Windows does.

Comment

Working...
                    X