Browsh: A Modern, Text-Based Web Browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I open an html from disk somehow?
    "browsh saved.html" - Browsh ignores its file argument and opens google.
    "browsh -startup-url file:///disk/saved.html" - Browsh opens "file.com"

Connection to firefox takes ~5 seconds, that's a bit slow.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Wasn't Stalman that used text based web browsers exclusively?
      No, he used his own Web2Mail service, that downloaded web pages on schedule, and later mailed them.

Albeit that he got his own operating system called Emacs, that got web browser and email client built-in. (Emacs can run bare-metal, but as I know, he started it inside GNU/Linux)

Comment

The comparison with "lynx" is somewhat off-topic, "w3m" is the much more direct competitor as a text-mode browser, which is way more feature-rich than "lynx".

Comment

too bad elinks is dead. i always liked it the best

Comment

This is fantastic work.
            However for the life of me I can't figure out how to actually navigate/"click" on links.
            Sure, I can use my mouse, but the whole point is that this should be usable from the terminal. The documentation doesn't yield any results either...

Comment

i can imagine fpga simulated gpus using this with a character displays for getting away from needing to render images at a high resolution

Comment

this reminded me of texttop and in fact it is the same project repurposed

Comment

It worries me a little that it is said to use FF as a base. Because then it's not really a slim thing. Of course it achieves better modern web compat. with it, but I always thought text browsers were to be trimmed down, slim, max. 5 MiB of code and because of this and because of text rendering blazing fast. Sadly 90% of the web isn't designed for text compatibility. Web sites are entirely cluttered and contain all sorts of nonsense - just not the vital info you want to have.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by edenist View Post
                    This is fantastic work.
                    However for the life of me I can't figure out how to actually navigate/"click" on links.
                    Sure, I can use my mouse, but the whole point is that this should be usable from the terminal. The documentation doesn't yield any results either...
                    Have you tried to install GPM?

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post

Have you tried to install GPM?
                      I can use the mouse to click on links. What I am after is complete navigation with the keyboard only.

Comment

Working...
                      X